babysitting vs parenting?

When you have your baby by yourself...like when your SO is working or going out. Do you call it babysiting or just consider it parenting? I am asking this cause a friend of mine will tell me "Oh I am babysitting tonight, wife is out at work" and she even calls it babysitting. Its just drives me crazy...I quess I consider it a pet peeve.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I refer to what I do as parenting... yes I refer to my hubby as the baby sitter though LOL. He doesn't do anything if I'm home so it's really like baby sitting for him.
    Anonymous

• Eh... My dad used to get all upset when my mom would have to go somewhere because he didn't want to "babysit" us. :( If it's your child it's parenting.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yuck! No, being with your kids is called being a parent. I would not like that at all.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• lol I only consider it babysitting when its not YOUR baby ...that would bug me too....well I gotta go babysitt my kid
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes...I am talking about your own child. My friends say babysitting with their own child.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Lots and lots of moms say that their husband "babysits". I think it's wrong too. I don't babysit my daughter why should I play down what my husband does when he watches her by himself?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I hate that too. I also hate when the wife/girlfriend has to ask if she can go out. Does the guy ask to hang out with his friends. I know every guy isnt like that. But some are.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My sil and her boyfriend were like that. We asked her one day if she wanted to go out to dinner with us and she's like, "I have to ask my boyfriend (the father of her 2 younger kids) if he can babysit."
    I was pregnant with our first at the time and I was like WTH? He's the father he should just do it. He refused so she couldn't come out with us.
    I can see why, though, some would call it babysitting. My husband doesn't exactly do much when I'm out. He just makes sure they don't kill each other and that they have food available and used to change diapers. I think calling it "babysitting" was a step up, lol. But, no, I don't say he's babysitting when he's home with the kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My husband takes more care of our son then most fathers do so he doesn't say he is babysitting. I guess if a husband doesn't take care of or spend much time with their kid they can consider it babysitting but that's sad.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Drives me nuts too!!!! If you're the father it's called being a father. I'm a SAHM of 3 kids I don't call it daycare for crying out loud! It's not a "job" staying home with my kids. Babysitting is a job, fatherhood isn't!

Thanks for getting me ranting!!! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2009