I have a 4 1/2 month old and I'm curious to know...

If it's ok, to feed him yogurt, I gave him a lil sip last night and he happened to love it. Like what kinds of food can I start feeding him cause it seems like he wants other kinds of food then rice cereal...help

jnjdominguez88

Asked by jnjdominguez88 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG! Most older ppl started there kids out eating at 3mths. And we are all here so what does that tell ya. You have opened a way debated question. I am firm believer in the child will let ya know when he needs more than a bottle, my son who is now a HEALTHY 8yo started eating baby food and other soft foods ie mashed potatoes, gravy when he was 3mths, on the other hand my daughter who is now 3 didn't seemed interested until 6-8mths. So It is up to you, just remeber that you need to feed one food at a time, ie plain yogurt or same type/flavor for the week to make sure there is no allergic reactions,
    Oh and for all those NO's most drs recomend even for smaller babies yogurt if they have a yeast infection! OR at least two of mine have!
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• YOU SHOULDNT GIVE ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN FORMULA OR BREAST MILK UNTIL THEY ARE AT LEAST 6 MONTHS. THATS PROVEN TO BE WHEN THEY CAN DIGEST OTHER THINGS. OTHER WISE IT CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM.

WOW.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't give him dairy products that early...give him stage one baby foods
    zaysmommy08

Answer by zaysmommy08 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I dunno. For some reason I'm thinking no on yougart. Milk products in general. I'm pretty sure the doctor says wait until 6 months for things like that. and with cows milk a year old (had to put that or people would say I'm telling you to give your baby cows milk at 6 months lol)
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• These would all be okay for your baby (including a little bit of yogurt) as long as you mash them up!: avacado, sweet potato, bananas, applesauce, etc. These are just a few and you might want to consult your doc also!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 11:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't give yogurt yet... especially not the kind with fruits in it. Yogurt can be given when he is around 8 months (yes it's dairy, but not the same milk)
    If he is ready for other foods, then start with some stage one baby foods... but go slow. My pediatrician said if you are going to start foods before 6 months stick with 1 fruit, 1 vege and one cereal. And don't give any other kinds until they are older.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• lot's of people say don't give them anything other than milk before 6 months but I gave my son cereal at 4 1/2 months and he started baby food at 5 months and he's perfectly healthy and my doctor said that it was fine. Just talk to your doctor...you know your child better than anyone else...if you think he needs something extra then give it to him...just remember not to over do it.
    zaysmommy08

Answer by zaysmommy08 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree with the first post. I breast feed and didn't give my baby food until 11 months. They don't need it unil 12 months.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I started baby oatmeal cereal at 4 months- just once a day. Then at 5 months I started making home made baby food like pears, apples, carrots, sweet potato and peas. She did fine. If your baby is formula fed, formula is cow milk based.... so you would think that plain yogurt would be fine. I know sugar isnt good for babies... ask your ped about the yogurt- theres lots of opinions on that one:)
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor before starting any foods, he or she can help you determine what your baby's insides are ready for. :) The six month rule may be true for some kids, but definitely not all. That's like saying they're all supposed to roll over at a certain age. It doesn't work that way, mamas! I wouldn't start with yogurt, as dairy can be especially hard on a tummy. I'd start with rice before anything...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009