food for a 7 month old?

He eats #2 baby food and cereal and we are going to try oatmeal tomorrow....
what other foods should he be eating....oh and he gets the gerber long cookie things and gerber juice.....................

What other food can I intriduce him too?

franklynnsmom

Asked by franklynnsmom at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I went to the doc today with my 6 month old and he said it's fine to give him some table foods that are not seasoned as long as they are mushed up really well. Like mashed potatoes and sweetpotoes, grits, and stuff like that.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 11:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i make all my baby's food-so easy and cheap! at 7 months they can have some fish and chicken. You can cook it then puree it with other things like peas, carrots- some parsly. if interested, go to
    www.wholesomebabyfoods.com they also have a list of foods your baby can have. Hope that helps some:)
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Stick with the jarred baby food, or make your own baby food using the same things as jarred foods. Don't introduce anything that's not in jarred baby food form. If it's in the baby aisle, stick with that. If it's not the equivalent of something in the baby aisle, avoid it.
    Anonymous

• You all may take this as critical, but from experience I can tell you to start introducing whatever foods he will eat as soon as he seems ready. Don't wait to try something just because it doesn't come in a baby food container. My son loved things like mushed-up beef stew, mashed potatoes 'n gravy, mac 'n cheese...from the very beginning.

Don't season his food? WTF?! Have you ever tried unseasoned baby food? It tastes like crap! We always added something to our son's baby food, so he has always been willing to try new foods all the time.

Go for it! Try whatever you feel like, as long as he's safe. If he doesn't like it, then don't try it again for a few weeks. Their tastes change all the time, so give them many opportunities to find new foods they may like. Believe me, it will make it much easier when he's a toddler like mine. Good luck!!
    BobbysMom2007

Answer by BobbysMom2007 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You dont have to stick with the kinds of food that are strickly in jars. There are numerous baby cook books and doctors that tell you otherwise. You can cook with onions, leeks, butter, bay leaves, even tomatoes at around 8months. Thats only if you want though- there is nothing wrong with jarred babyfood. Just know that there are other options:) that wholesomebabyfood site is really good.
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'v always given my baby stuff off my plate. Such as potatoes, grits, egg and this christmas he had turkey, chicken, sweetpotatoes and pumpkin pie. Just be sure to stay away from hunny that can kill your baby. Mine is 7 months old too. And his doctor told me to get ready to start him on 3rd foods cause he is teething and crawling. Good luck mama!
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 2:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He can start eating soft chunks as soon as he can pick them up and put them in his mouth and cheerios or other cereal. You don't have to go by the Gerber timeline. They want to keep you buying baby food as long as you possibly can so they can all the money they possibly can. My little ones loved canned veggies (no added salt) and canned fruit (no added sugar) as well as fresh bananna slices. They even began eating shredded meats around this time too. Good luck to you!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Just because it's not baby food he can't eat it? Hogwash! Babies don't even need to have babyfood at all! It's a convenience, making it easier to try them for food sensitivities.

He can start finger foods and any table foods you want. And it doesn't have to be unseasoned...unless maybe it's a seasoning you haven't tried before. Remember...he was exposed to everything you ate while you were pregnant.

Start taking bits from your plate and dice it finely. Let him start learning how to self feed! Let him start eating what you cook so you won't have so many potential problems later! There is no reason to puree it, either. If he has a problem with the small pieces, the by all means mash it with a fork. Now is the time to have him try thicker textures and get used to eating well balanced meals with you.

(for the record, my boys were on all table foods at 9 months with the pediatrician's blessing)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2009