Meds and pregnancy

Is the prescribed skelaxin safe to take while pregnant? I messed my neck up and my reg doc today prescribed it to me. I am 7 months preggo.

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would ask your obgyn.
    not people who arent doctors on a website. thats something that you should def tell your doctor about even if your regular dr prescribed it to you and you are taking it, you should tell your obgyn about any meds you are taking during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• The best thing to do is to call your doc about it. Im on 5 different meds and i was lucky cause all of them i was able to take while prego. But the doc that perscribed them to you may think its ok but ur ob might not.. so just check to be safe
    Piraal

Answer by Piraal at 11:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't think your doctor would give it to you otherwise, but call your OB to be safe (at the very least, talk to a good pharmacist!).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• http://www.safefetus.com/Search.asp?SearchType=2

Is this a pain medication?  I don't recognize the name.   I had to take vicodin this pregnancy because of a root canal..   You can look it up on Safe Fetus and see what the FDA has it rated for birth defects and risks to pregnancy or breast feeding.   BUT you should still call your doctor and ask as well, you may have other risks we don't know about, or other medications that could cause an issue together.  It's better to err on the side of safety.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Pregnancy Reproduction studies in rats have not revealed evidence of impaired fertility or harm to the fetus due to metaxalone. Post marketing experience has not revealed evidence of fetal injury, but such experience cannot exclude the possibility of infrequent or subtle damage to the human fetus. Safe use of metaxalone has not been established with regard to possible adverse effects upon fetal development. Therefore, metaxalone tablets should not be used in women who are or may become pregnant and particularly during early pregnancy unless in the judgement of the physician the potential benefits outweigh the possible hazards.

from: http://www.rxlist.com/skelaxin-drug.htm

reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:59 AM on Jan. 3, 2009