Okay so I am a newby, and I have alot of issues. I hear this is a really good place to ask questions, so I'll start off light. How do I get my 3 yr. old to go to bed? Every night I feel like it is such a struggle. Up and down the stairs trying to get him to stay in his own bed. Please some good advice would be appreciated.

I have a 3 year old boy that I have aloud to sleep in my bed for some time. Now it's old having being hit constantly all night long. Not to mention sharing a bed with him and my husband. Every night it's a battle to get him to stay in his own bed. I've tried everything till I exhausted. What is the magic that makes it work and not so horrible. I get so tired of running up and down my stairs 10 times a night. I just feel so drained as if its never going to work.

Shannonmason

Asked by Shannonmason at 11:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• be consistant! if it takes 50 times putting him back in his bed.. then thats what you should do! he will eventually stay in his bed. Dont talk to him, dont give in if he asks you for stuff..... be patient. No doubt it will be tough for the first few nights of doing that- but it will be well worth it when you get him sleeping in his own bed. :) good luck!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Danahj79 is totally right. the only thing I would add is just make sure you stay calm, stay in the hallway and when he gets up immediately put him back in his bed. Over and Over and Over. You say 10?! That's all? :) Expect 20 and up. Trust us it is absolutely exhausting...but on the bright side you notice a difference the next night. You put him back to bed half as many times. He will get it really quick. Just stay consistent mama. You will do great.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I tried putting my son back in his bed. Me and my DH would trade off and be consistent. After a few weeks of that it was not something we could reasonably do. My husband works shifts and I had a baby to care for at the same time.
    We tried bribery/rewards/taking things away, giving him a night light, stuffies and picking his own sheets, sitting in his room but not talking or looking at him, I even tried spanking his bum(hated it, felt so guilty!)
    Sadly I discovered one night that he wanted his door left open. So the rule was stay in bed and the door stays open. As soon as he'd get out I'd close the door. Sometimes I'd have to hold the door shut so he wouldn't open it. He'd cry and stick his fingers under the door. Once I'd hear him in his bed I'd open the door go to him and cover him and give him a big hug and kiss.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• One thing I did to oust my DD from my bed was a little underhanded. Me and hubby decided to squeeze her out. We'd crowd her and make her uncomfortable until she got up and went to her own bed. When she wanted to sleep in her own bed we acted like "oh whatever" and it was a non issue! We rolled over on her on purpose and put our hands in her face, elbow in her back took her covers or piled on too many etc. She gave up in less than a week! It worked very well! Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:19 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• try laying down with him in his bed and tell him ure going to sleep with him.. then he falls asleep get up... i lay down with my kids at bedtime.. then put them in their beds when they are sleeping
    XKsmommy

Answer by XKsmommy at 3:37 AM on Jan. 3, 2009