My 9 month old son still wakes up in the night

He's still waking up in the early morning wanting his bottle. Except for the past 2-3 nights he's been sleeping unil about 8:30-9:00 am. Is this something I need to be concerned about? I feed him twice a day his baby cereal, once in the moring and the other at night about an hour before his bed time. Yet there will be some nights he'll wake up still wanting his bottle.

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 11:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was having the same problem with my daughter who in now 18mths, who still at times won't sleep through the night. My doctor suggested that I feed her right before bedtime and that is what I did and she slept fine, now I think it's more of a teething issue for her.

determind

Answer by determind at 9:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'm confused...you feed him cereal twice a day in ADDITION to his bottles? Or you ONLY feed him cereal twice a day and nothing else? I know those are probably stupid questions but I wasnt sure what you meant! haha It is perfectly normal for him to wake up and want his bottle in the night at that age.
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 11:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• He may need more food during the day. Have you tried adding a "lunchtime" feeding of cereal/babyfood?
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He's still a baby. :) There's only so much you can do, if he gets hungry, then he's gonna want that bottle!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son is 20 months old and still wakes up at night. He hasn't had a bottle since he was 11 months old but he's not sleeping through the night either. My son woke up at 3 for a bottle every morning until we got rid of it. I think its pretty normal.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It's not normal for babies over 4-6 months old to be waking up at night- consistantly. There are some wonderful books out there... I read Dr. Richard Ferber's book "how to solve your childs sleep problems" and I got my then 3 month old sleeping through the night from 8pm to 7am. Now that she is teething, she wakes at 5am for a bottle, but then back to sleep til 8. I highly recommend this book:) Life saver!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 12:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• When they have growth spurts, they wake up ravenous and all you can do is feed them! Make sure he goes to bed with a full tummy and offer food often during the day. Don't feed him in the middle of the night though or you'll never get any rest! Sometimes my little one (14 mos) is demanding food so hard in the morning, I give her a cracker so I can change her morning diaper! Then it's straight to the table for breakfast. Don't worry, he sounds completely normal.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He should be on baby foods by now. I would add those and end the cereal gradually. Babies don't get any nutritional value from cereal, it just fills them up. He will be more full and satisfied once you start with foods.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 12:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• each child is different.... if this is his pattern than it's fine, if he is changing his patterns then i would be concerned... my kids are 36 months and 18 months and neither of them sleep through the night.... they have on rare occations slept through the night, but not on a regular basis.... each gets up at different times and for different reasons.... our little one gets up and comes to our room only to get carried back to his bed around 5 every morning.... then he will go back to sleep until 7ish... our 3 year old will wake up sometime in the early am and ask for a drink... it's everynight, and it always has been.....
    Anonymous