How do you file your taxes—online website, tax software, or a tax professional?

Do you go to a provider such as H&R Block, do it online, buy software, or take it to an accountant? Or do you submit it by paper?

I use to take mine to H&R Block until one year I had to actually show the guy how to do it. I now use H&R Block online but I have run into a problem with it this year. I thought about buying the TurboTax software and e-filing it that way. So how do you file your taxes?


Asked by JeremysMom at 1:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

75344 Level 35
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (12)
  • H&R Block usually but I have filed online before just out of laziness ;o) I used because you don't have to pay for the program. I think it cost me $20 total for state and federal to file with them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I use turbo tax and file electronically.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 148630 Level 42
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I use a private accountant but am considering turbo tax for next year. She is now charging $250 to do them and thats crazy. I know several people who do turbo tax and they have had a good outcome and said it was very easy.

    Answer by VaDivaMom at 1:40 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Our taxes are a little complicated because we have a coorporation, so we use a private accountant to do everything.

    Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 349 Level 9
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I do all mine myself, the old fashion way. lol. paper and pen and a stamp.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 67320 Level 34
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Anon- Thank you so much. I just tried out Tax and it was really easy to use.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 2:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 75344 Level 35
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • We usually use H&R Block, but last year and this year, we have to go to a CPA, because Hubby was in Iraq for a year, and taxes for "expatriates" are complicated. Next year, I'm hoping to do our taxes myself, to save us money.

    Answer by debra_benge at 3:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 91 Level 5
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Turbo Tax for the past 5 years. The first year a relative who does taxes checked it for us and they got almost the same as we did. They just gave us a couple of suggestions and that was it.

    If you have a simple return Turbo Tax has FREE software online.

    When we bought their software this year it included free e-filing which last year cost $35 for federal and state.

    Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 18 Level 3
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I am using Turbo Tax this year because our accountant is at a point in his life (in my opinion :-) that he needs to retire. Bless his heart--he REALLY screwed up our taxes last year. Turbo Tax here I come!

    Answer by smizzell at 4:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I have used Turbo Tax for several years now. I've never had a problem. They are up to date every year on the newest changes and it is SOOO easy. Did however have issues with H&R Block though. Found out later that they are actually in cahoots (sp?) with the IRS and you will pay the biggest tax liability.

    Answer by HisDiva1st at 6:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0