How much child support do you receive?

im going to put child support on my ex he says hes going to fight it can he really? he don't put in for nothing for our daughter.. maybe what 1 diaper bag once a month.. im tired i don't have money or a job.. can i receive child support if im not working? he said they wont grant me child support if i don't have a job.. can someone explain the process of child support? who can i qualify my ex makes $700 a week and he says he don't have money.. bunch of crap.. i was only asking him for 100 buck a week he wouldn't even give me that.. so im thinking of taking this next step.. what do you think?


Asked by _MORENA_ at 7:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2008 in Money & Work

0 Level 1
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (39)
  • It doesn't matter if you don't work if the child has always lived with you you need to file for paper work before he does and for one child I don't know if the percentage is the same where you are but here in NY its 17% of what the dad's salary is and its giving to you weekly. You may even get more from him but if he doesn't want to do it outside of the court then I would bring him to court and make sure you tell the judge you want the money taking out of his pay check. I went thru the same thing you did with my ex and I'm getting 140 a week from him

    Answer by NYMARIPOSA at 7:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I agree with NYPARIPOSA. Ex's HATE having to pay child support to support their own kids. My ex has been complaining about how HE fully supports my household with c.s. & he should have control over how it's used. Never mind the fact that my husband has a full-time job and I own my own business. Sounds like he's just trying to intimidate you from filing for c.s. Sad. Anyway, the one way that you may not receive court ordered support directly is if you have to get financial aid from Social Services, like food stamps & a monetary allotment to help pay your bills. Social services would have c.s. directed to them to help offset any monies you receive from them. In any situation, he HAS to pay. Even if he's unemployed he's obligated to pay $10 a week (in Michigan). Go to court to get the ball rolling. Don't let him slide on this. GOOD LUCK!


    Answer by OldrWizrMom at 7:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • They will look at your last job to figure what you're capable of making. If he has signed the birth certificate or doesn't contest paternity there wont even be a hearing. Same goes if he wants a DNA just have to wait for the results to come back and they make the order based on income alone, no hearing...he doesn't get to argue that he shouldn't be responsible or cant afford it or you don't let him see his child blah, blah, blah. Mine was a real POS and went awol from the military to take a job at McDonalds so the last income he had on record was a minimum wage job to make the order from. My daughter's sister's mom is ordered $385/mo and he's $10,000 behind with her. I'm only ordered $86/mo and he has never made a payment. If he keeps a job, they will garnish it, if he quits all of them, you'll get screwed and the court doesn't do what they should about it.

    Answer by kabbot01 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 51 Level 4
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I get $51.00 a month. I know it 's not shit!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I have a good reason for asking this question....How long has he been your ex?

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • you need to check with your local attorney general but in tx and in GA its 20% of what he makes

    Answer by eternaldeamer at 9:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • all men taken to court have to pay child support. you can't fight it. maybe avoid it like my ex and now owes me over 40k. he pays me 354 in actually child support for arrears he pays 420 totaling 774. he doesn't make a whole lot i think but my other ex pays me 550 and i think he makes about 2700.00 per month. either way he can fight it all he wants. you'll get something but probably not as much as you would like. ask also that he provide health insurance for your child 100 percent of it. even if you get state health insurance cause you may not get that all your life. you can go online and do the calculator thats shows gross income and what amount he will pay. just put child support calculator in google search. good luck.

    Answer by melody77 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 5435 Level 18
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I get $78 per week

    Answer by LayleiBabies at 9:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • my little girl is one and her dad made $10 an hour and paid 332 a month then he lost that job and i didnt get a thing for 6 months and he now is making 7.25 an hour and pays 248 a month but owes alot the state took him for that but when we go back to court for custody is will go up in wv it goes by how often he sees the child and how much he makes. but i dont have a job either and i recieve child support that has nothing to do with his responsibilities as a father. he alos has to pay 100% of medical expense he was requirred to get health insurance for her.

    Answer by brittanybell at 9:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 484 Level 10
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Not all men have to pay child support....all non-custodial parents must pay child support. If you are in Texas, and dont have a job they will give your child to her father as the primary. You either have to be in school or working. If you don't have a job and can't support your child, then you are considered unfit. If you have primary then he will have to pay 20 percent of his earnings. If he gets your daughter then you have to pay 20 percent. If you have no earnings then you have to pay 20 percent of minimum wage times 40 hours per week. Either way, get a job...and file for child support. It takes both incomes to raise a child on your own.

    Answer by megmckn at 10:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN