How can my son get financial aid for college?

My boy wants to go to college he is 18 with a dream of becoming a web/graphic designer.  And I would like to know what grants are good to get and how to get them for him.


Asked by 1carlasue at 3:55 AM on Sep. 23, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

0 Level 1
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (2)
  • Pell Grant is a good one. At my local Community College a Pell Grant covers all of the tution and even books, with some left over usually (which you get in a check later on and can use for gas money to get to the college).

    When I went to another college though, one with a dorm, Pell didn't cover it only was a small drop in the bucket so to speak.

    Answer by LisaAC at 8:19 AM on Sep. 23, 2008

    Credits: 3 Level 1
    Votes up:1 Votes down:0
  • You have to fill out the FAFSA. If he is eligible for grants then they will give them. They are not something he can just go and pick and choose. You have to sit down with him and fill out the appropriate paper work. Also, depending on what college he chooses he might be eligible for state grants. Also, by filling out the FAFSA he will get low interest student loans as well. Just remember not everyone is eligible for grants but everyone is eligible for student loans.

    Answer by OneToughMami at 8:52 AM on Sep. 23, 2008

    Credits: 3406 Level 17
    Votes up:1 Votes down:0