How do physicians treat postpartum depression?

i just asked the question about getting it up to your shild 1st year.. i think i might have it....

I'm just not sure how they treat it??


Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (7)
  • child's**

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • It really depends on how bad it is. Please don't hesititate to discuss this with your doctor, though. Chances are you might need meds or other therapies will work for you, but you should talk to someone about it as soon as possible. Much love going out to you, I know how hard it is.

    Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Credits: 3 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Usually anti depressants and counceling. There are lots ways to make yourself feel better that don't involve meds a well. Eating right, getting plenty of fluids, and an exercise routine can help. Remember the people you have around you to help and ask them for help when you need it. To take a nap, or a walk, or bath, or even wash the dishes without having to worry about the child.

    Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Credits: 578 Level 11
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I have a good friend who suffered with depression throughout her life and especially after having a baby. She found a great doctor that treats her depression with diet and exercise. She has never had to take anti depressants and feels great! 

    Good luck to you!


    Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Credits: 87 Level 5
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Counseling, medication (anti-depresants and/or anti-anxiety), physical assessment to make rule out nothing else is going on. Call your doctor.

    Answer by frogdawg at 11:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Credits: 24269 Level 25
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • get treatment early! If yuo choose to go the medication route it takes up to 2 weeks to feel better... and its a long two weeks! But meds and counseling or one or the other. I believe it can happen up to 2 years after having a baby. Generally yuo just tell your doc what your feeling and they diagnose form there. Good luck

    Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Credits: 13 Level 2
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • The way my dr went about it was sending me to the women's health concern's clinic to have an assessment done as they specialize in depression. She refered me there after refusing med's. While diet and exercise can work for some people, it can often not. At the clinic the dr there spoke with me for well over an hour, man it felt great to get everything out! I then did a questioner about my moods and attitude towards things. I do this every time I go for a visit. After some coaxing I finally went on zolof and glad I did. I'm able to be on a low dose and it works. Had we left it, who know's where I'd be now?!!? Talk to your dr and good luck!

    Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

    Credits: 8472 Level 20
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0