Where can I get help with my divorce papers?

OK girls, now that I've cried all night.I've put my gloves on & need some BIG TIME BACK UP! Got my divorce pprs ystrday. Ok, so here r my ?'s. Paper says: Petitoner (shit head ass hole) requests that the assets & debts below be confirmed as seperate property. So,does this mean, that, shit head ass hole wants all of the items on ppr. That these Item belong to him & only him& that I can't , or he doesn't want me 2 have access to them.Access to our bank acc./ his our pensition. I'm a sahm 4 17yrs. It's 9 pac. 11-21-08. I need this info before I have to pick up my kids @ 2. I know I'm going to cry and my eyes get really swollen, so I need time to let my eyes to get back to normal. My kids know if I don't lift my sun glasses when I greet them, Mom's been crying and doesn't want them to see her eyes. Little rascals, so darn perceptive? GOD, thank you for my TRUE LOVES, MY BABES.


Asked by chellenout at 1:27 PM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Relationships

0 Level 1
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (9)
  • I'm not an expert, but when I did my divorce papers, separate property meant belonging only to the one individual, yes. However, a bank account shouldn't be able to be counted that way, if your name is on it. Where I live, it usually applies only to property acquired before the marriage. For example, all my dishes, furniture, TV, stereo, etc. that I had before he moved in, I claimed as separate property b/c it was all mine BEFORE I met him.
    Just b/c he requests it doesn't mean he'll get it, though. You should have the opportunity to file a response in which you can give your reasons why he shouldn't get it.
    I would see if you can talk to someone at the courts or to an attorney with a free consultation to see if they can give you more definitive answers, since it can vary depending on your state. Good luck and sorry you're going thru this.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 1:33 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Credits: 155 Level 7
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Thats weird the way its placed. On some level I think its a good thing because the debt part means he is assuming the debt listed (whatever the items are). As for assets then yes he is also saying they belong to him. If you have a joint savings or account you do know you can go to the bank and have his name taken off of them without his permission right? i went through a divorce and I closed out our account and opened a new one in just MY name. That is one way you can make sure he doesnt take your money too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Honey you need to see your attorney, and if you don't have one, you need to get one. They can go over this with you again and again until you feel 100% that you understand what is going on in that mountain of paperwork.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Credits: 29 Level 4
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • If it is written exactly as you state, that is exactly what it means. Do you have an attorney? If you do don't sign a thing until they tell you to sign it. Everything you sign is legal and hard to change. If you aren't using an attorney google the words 'divorce terminology' There are lots of links to glossaries to help you out.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Credits: 39983 Level 29
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Dont sign anything you dont understand. If you cant afford a lawyer try seeing if there is a legal aid in your area who can atleast help you understand the paperwork. They go on a sliding scale so if you dont have any income you wont pay anything or atleast not alot. You can also try seeing if there are paralegals who do divorce work in the phone book. They are a good alternative to a high priced lawyer. Worse comes to worse sign nothing and force it to go to court and tell the judge you didnt know what the paperwork meant and make the judge explain i t before you agree to anything.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:39 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Credits: 148630 Level 42
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • If you were a SAHM for 17 years, that means he was your sole support. Take him for alimony.

    Answer by feesharose at 1:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Credits: 38 Level 4
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Divorce Support - California Divorce Laws

    Complete overview of California divorce laws for people considering a California divorce or filing a California divorce with issues to be resolved about ...
    www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/California-Divorce-Laws-436.html -

    Answer by vbruno at 2:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

    Credits: 33871 Level 28
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I would say this get a good lawyer and take him for all he gots. And do not sign anything until you find a lawyer and let him or her represent u.

    Answer by andmaef28 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2010

    Credits: 994 Level 13
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0