How can I get a divorce if my husband won't let me?

i need to get a divorce but one problem is i have no money for a lawyer or even to file papers . im on adc and going to there a way i can get a divorce without his signature. he told he he wont allow me to get a divorce. he kicked me out for an ex girlfriend and now after he finds out im pregnant he wants me back. i wont get back with him. its over. but how do i get a divorce when he will stop at nothing to stop it from happening


Asked by reewolf at 12:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Relationships

14 Level 3
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (12)
  • You don't need a lawyer, just petition the court and tell them what you say here.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • some lawyers will be willing to give you a free consultation. I found one who gave me 1 hour of his time free when I was going through my divorce. (I found him through a chistian radio station)

    also, some atates will not allow you to divorce while you are pregnant, so check on that first. If you have to hire a lawyer, try looking online for agencies that can help you pay.

    Answer by mom2alan at 12:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • try legal aid

    Answer by sunshine21pa at 12:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 11 Level 2
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • You can get a "contested" divorce. But that does cost money. Your best bet is to go talk to an attorney and explain your situation and see what they can help you with. Depending on what school you go to you might be able to talk with one of the law students or professors and they could reccommend what to do.
    Oh yeah. If you have things like cars and house's and the like you should be able to get an attorney no problem because they will just work it out to take a portion of your settlement from court.
    Good luck! I'd do the same thing if I were in your shoes.

    Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 3683 Level 17
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Looks like his wake up call happened a little too late. Here you can't get a divorce while pregnant and when children are involved it's a whole lot more expensive. We have a court ordered child advocate that comes in and makes sure that the child's best interests are met. There's a lot of legal aid help, look online and you should find something. You might could just type in " free legal aid in the state of X" Good luck to you

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 228 Level 8
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • try your Local Law Library it is filled with information


    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0

    Answer by older at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 2285492 Level 69
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • you don't need his signature if you have a valid reason for divorcing him. Adultery is valild. You can do your own divorce for about 150.00. Google it. Your situation with him is dramatic, but divorcing someone is NOT that big of a deal to do like you are trying to make it. Divorce the dumb**s and move on.

    Answer by fawn321 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Go to Legal Aid, they help you on a sliding scale. Can be free, $10.00, something like that. They will help you fill out the paper work and also file it for you at the courthouse. They will set up having your husband "served" with papers. That will cost you, because it is usually done by a Sheriff's deputy (but that does depend on where you live) the cost is usually about $50.00. You'll then be set up with a court date, the judge will review the paperwork and grant the divorce. If your husband contests it, you can tell the judge why you want the divorce. WORST case scenario - the judge could order marriage counseling and then you just say that it didn't work, and then the judge will grant the divorce - HOWEVER, that is sooooooo rare. 99% of the time, the judge just grants the divorce. It takes two to be married. Sorry that you are going through this.

    Answer by richgirljj at 2:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Credits: 18 Level 3
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Yeah i have the same prob soon to come. Once I make this decision I know my husband is not going to give in easily. He will want to try to do anything to hurt me. I will never do the marriage thing again. Its just way too much. do you have children?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0