Do all single moms get child support?

im wanting to get a divorce, but i dont want to tie my ex down with child support. weve got custody taken care of and money issues taken care of. and im getting an education so i can get a better job so it wont be such a struggle. im getting virtually no support thats not saying get child support or your going to go down hill. thanks for the supprt! has anyone else gone without and been fine?!


Asked by windowgirl at 9:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

0 Level 1
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (33)
  • Child support is NOT for you--it is for the child. TAKE the child support and if nothing else put it in an investment account for the kid(s). It is THEIR money to be used for them--not for you. They shouldn't suffer because you don't want to take any more money---they are his responsibility too. My sister didn't go for all she could--and after two years of school and a good job in her field--she is struggling and she got a nice settlement!! And she isn't wasteful with her money. Take it for your kids and save it for their college or something.....

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I never got child supprt with my oldest, I tried but the legal system in California is a joke so I finally gave up and just took care of him by myself and I was fine. You don't have to have court ordered child support unless you want to.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 87 Level 5
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I do I did not want child support but my sons father used the system to make me go to court and get a dna found out he was his (like I always knew) and was ordered $50 a month a haven't seen a dime yet but I am just fine my other sons father does not pay that and we make it but I do have to say that if god forbid your child's father ever dies you would want to at least get the ssi help with medical and what ever else they offer I guess


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I do not recieve child support, I had my son when I was young (19) and I was doing things I shouldn't have been doing and doing them around people I shouldn't be around...needless to say my family doesn't know exactly how my son came to be, I was drugged with ghb and date raped, 9 months later I was in labor. The guy (sperm donor) was sent to jail where he signed over any rights he could possibly have on my child and I don't want child support from him based on a lot of things, but I know I can provide for him on my own, and I don't want him coming near my child. I'm raising a energetic little boy all on my own and I am perfectly fine

    Answer by rockerqueen at 9:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I agree with Anon. I get child support for my son and it goes away for his college fund. I can afford to pay for everything on my own but why not opt to give something to your child's future. It isn't like you are burdoning your STB ex. It IS his child too, afterall. Child support isn't a hand out, it is maintaining the shared responsibility of raising that child. I would see what the state would mandate he pay and take. I actually agreed to take less than what the state would have mandated my ex because I knew I didn't need the money. My ex and I discussed what we both thought would be a suitable amount for our son to receive. I now have my son in private school & the child support pays for that and the extra goes to his college fund.

    Answer by cat1622 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 357 Level 9
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • For those who have been through a divorce with children. You would know that a huge percentage of the time...the FATHER ends up with all of the BILLS from the marriage!!! YES, it's BOTH parents responsibility to support and raise the children that BOTH of them had. BUT...we all know here that BM can run BD through the ringer using the system and the children as tools to bankrupt him! Not allowing him to have any sort of a life until the last child reaches the "proper" age!

    I know this post was not originally about this...but....I wish more women would try to raise the kids they helped bring into this world and pay for all of the bills caused by BOTH in the marriage. I'm sure these women would have more respect for the responsible Birth FATHER these days!!! Sorry, anything surrounding this subject is and will remain my SORE spot.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • My mom raised me and my sister with no child support from my dad. He was to pay and didn't, things we're tight and my mom did the best she could. Although her's wasen't her choice.

    Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 8472 Level 20
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • You are doing YOUR child a disservice by not taking support. It is not for you or about him. Take it and put it into a college fund. You need to educate yourself about this aspect of divorce and responsibility.  Regardless of what others have said, child support is not totally about bills from the marriage, it is about the child, and the child's needs. 


    Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I agree with first anon, take it and put it in a College fund. It is for the child and what a great to use it.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 29705 Level 27
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • I'm with anon. Don't be selfish and think only of yourself. It's not money for YOU. It's for your child. Put it in a bank account and buy the child a new car at graduation or pay for a trip to Europe when he/she gets older or just give it to the child at his/her 21st birthday. Good grief, Take the child's money and save it to prepare for the child's future.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

    Credits: 49055 Level 31
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0