What are some safety tips for using a fireplace or wood stove to heat your home?

If so, do you use it?

We have a fireplace, but I am deathly afraid of the house catching on fire. We bought the house in Jan. 2007 and have never lit a fire in the fireplace. I know I would love to enjoy a fire in there someday, though.

Do you have any safety tips that you could share with me, please?
Thank you.

  • SHARE THIS QUESTION:
PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 9:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2008 in Home & Garden

6685 Level 19
This question is closed and filed in the CafeMom Encyclopedia.
Answers (3)
  • I have lived in this house I am in now for 4 yrs. It has a wood stove and we use it all the time. Some safety tips? Just dont pile too much wood up really high that way you dont have to worry about the chimney catching fire (very unlikley but just a tip I was given lol). Use a creosote log to keep creosote down and have the chimney cleaned once a year. Use hard wood and not as much pine if possible because pine builds up more creosote then other woods. It is ok to use pine just make sure you mix it with other wood like oak etc.
    Teach the kids fire safety & not to get too close or play with the fire. Keep a screen over the fireplace so that no sparks can fly out that can catch fire on other items. Keep the fireplace clean from too many ashes.
    gemgem

    Answer by gemgem at 9:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

    Credits: 148630 Level 42
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • We have just moved into our new house and we have 6 fireplaces in there and 1 wood stove and we will definitely try it. But a good tip is to put a safety guard around the fire and not put anything flammable near it.

    Mummytomore

    Answer by Mummytomore at 9:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

    Credits: 0 Level 1
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0
  • Ask your local fire dept to check and make sure it is fire friendly.. that everything is where it should be and it was installed properly, and that it's clean enough... or you may have to hire someone.. it would depend on the fireplace on how it operates... no sense having a chimney fire when you can avoid it.
    xxhazeldovexx

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

    Credits: 67320 Level 34
    Votes up:0 Votes down:0