Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My baby just had blood drawn!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 3:25 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 357 Total Views
I had to get a blood test done for my son - to check for iron and lead. Well it was so upsetting. I had my mom come with me because I was starting to have stomach pains just thinking about it. My mom held him (along with 2 other people) - I had to be out of his sight because he was trying to get to me. The first arm they couldnt get any blood. They werent going to try the 2nd arm because his vein was too small but I said since I was there I wanted them to try and get it over with. Thankfully they did get blood - but my poor little guy. He was looking at me with these sad eyes and saying 'mom why arent you helping me'....as soon as we got in the car he crashed. He has been sleeping for 1 hr 1/2 - not like him at all!!! He didnt even eat lunch, my poor guy!
by on May. 7, 2007 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AprilAnney
by on May. 7, 2007 at 3:38 PM
That's weird that they had to take it from his arm!  My son had his hemoglobin levels tested and was tested for lead, and they just took droplets from his two big toes.  I'm sorry you had to go through that!  It's tough to watch your baby be in pain and want to be with you!
m_hickorymoms
by on May. 7, 2007 at 6:05 PM
I havent had to do this yet.  I have to wait two more weeks but I am so not looking forward to this.  It makes me cry just to see her get shots I can't imagine how hard it is going to be to watch her get blood taken.
teri_ofthenati
by on May. 7, 2007 at 7:50 PM
THEY DID THE SAME THING TO TATIANA LAST WEEK... AS SOON AS THEY PUT THAT BIG BLUE RUBBER BAN ON SHE LOOKED AT ME AND JUST STARTED WHIMPERING... SO THAT DAY SHE GOT 4 SHOTS IN THE LEGS AND BLOOD DRAWN FROM HER ARM...
SexyCocoaMama
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:05 PM
Isn't that the worst! For my daughters one year appt they gave her 3 shots and took blood from her arm.  I was holding her from behind so she couldn't see me, all she could see was the 2 nurses.  They stuck her and I've never heard her scream so loud in my life.  She was freaking out and screaming "MAMA!" which just broke my heart because i can never get her to say mama but she calls for her dad 24/7, and to hear her want me so badly made me feel like such a bad parent.  I knew they needed the blood but i felt sooo horrible.
Jessilynnsmama
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:37 PM
They always take blood from Jessica-Lynn's toe. You think having to watch your baby get blood drawn is bad, she had to have a spinal tap wehn she was 3 months old. It took 5 of us to hold her down.
LilliannsMom
by on May. 7, 2007 at 8:45 PM
I feel for you.  I went through the same thing a couple months ago when my daughters hemoglobin had to be tested, it was a nightmare.  I was there alone, and it took an hour and a half worth of poking her poor little arms to finally find a vein that didnt collapse. 
justanotherjen
by on May. 8, 2007 at 9:03 AM
wow.  I have 4 kids and we have never had to do that.  They either took the blood fro their finger or toe.  And it was never an ordeal like that.  I have never heard of actually drawing blood from a toddler.

My 5yo son has to have blood drawn this week to test for allergies.  his daddy is taking him because I don't want to deal with it.  I have to do all the shots for the 3 girls (because daddy can't stand to see his girls in pain).
rOckabLe
by on May. 9, 2007 at 1:18 AM
My daughter had to have blood drawn at 6 1/2 months due to a cold that wouldnt go away (turned out to be a sinus infection)Shes had her blood drawn 3 times since then, the last being at her 1 year check up where they gave her 4 shots too. After the first draw I had them bring more nurses in cause I couldnt stand having to hear Momma being screamed while I was on top of her holding her down... Now shes knows better, shes fine until she sees the table, then all heck breaks loose.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)