Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you get them off the bottle?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:20 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 299 Total Views

I have been trying to get my son to transition to all sippy cups. He likes the sippy cups, but if i put milk in it he will not drink it. I have tried buying all different cups and none of them seem to do the trick. I have never had him be picky about pacifiers(when he used them) or bottles. He always had all different sizes and shapes. But now that i'm trying to get him off of bottles he wont drink milk out of any type of sippy. Today i got him to drink about 2 or 3 ounces of milk from a sippy. I have even tried filling the bottle with water and a sippy with milk, and he still preferred the bottle. Is there anything you all did that worked? I know they say to give him a couple of days of fussing and he will transition to a cup, but i hate to hear him fuss because he's hungry or thirsty. I dont mind hearing him cry if he did something bad, but when it comes to the milk i just give in. Plus hes a picky eater so he doesnt always fill up on food and then depends on the milk to fill him up. Any suggestion?

by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Salam Alaykoum! I never did bottels but going from the boob to a soft spout cup for milk and a hard spout for other drinks worked well for both of mine now Omar only uses hard spouts and Sarah is on straws (because open cups are spilled by her baby brother)
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 2:30 PM
My daughter just turned 15months on the 24th and is still on th ebottle!! I've tryed everything that you have as well.  She has never been attached to anything like a pacifier, blankie or anything like that.  But when I put milk in a sipp cup she's doesn't drink it.  I've layed done with her at night with and gave her her sippy cup full of milk but she'll get up and start jumping around like it's a party. but iif I give her a bottle she'll knock out!!  I don't know hwat to do either !! Good luck let me know if you get any good ideas!!  
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:45 PM

My son basically weened himself from the bottle, it started out gradually and he was just taking one at night and in the morning and then it went to just one a day to eventually none. We are just on sippy cups now and they work great. 
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:05 PM
it will probably be no help you you now but we made the transition easy by giving nora milk in her sippy starting when she was 10 months old.  she still got her bottles of formula every day but with her meals she had milk or water in her sippy.  so when it came time to wean from the bottle she had been used to drinking her milk from a cup for months.

once the formula was gone so were the b ottles.  by the time she turned 1 she was down to 2 bottles a day and a month later she was down to one a day and that one said bye-bye the day before she turned 13 months (the day the formula ran out).  she never had anything but formula in her bottle and never had formula in a cup.  there was no fussing or anything.

my only suggestion is try watering down the milk in the bottle (like half and half or mostly water to a little milk).  it might make the milk icky enough that he won't want it anymore.

in the end they don't have to drink milk.  the only time nora has milk is with her cereal in the morning.  she doesn't drink it in a cup because i can't afford to serve milk like that for 4 kids.  we would go rhtough more then a gallon a day.  nora gets most of her dairy from cheese and yogurt

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."--Adam Savage (of Mythbusters)
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM
I dont know if this will work for you but, just last week I just stopped giving my son bottles.  He doesn't even have the option anymore.  Before nap time I take him up, change his diaper and put him in his crib.  He cries for a minute or two but then he falls right asleep.  At night time I give him a bath, dress him and put him in his crib and he falls right asleep. The only time he gets milk is durring meals, and only out of a sippy cup or real cup. (I find it freakishly weird that at 16 months he is obsessed with drinking out of a real cup, he doesn't spill at all either!)
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 9:39 PM
I had this problem too! I started out with a week of only a sippy sup at lunch whether he drank it or not that is what he got! I did that for a week than it was only sippy cups at lunch and dinner, I was prepared to do this the following week with breakfast lunch and dinner but it was not needed! Nicholas began taking the sippy cup about day 2 of no bottle for lunch or dinner! He only takes a sippy cup now! Don't worry your child will not get dehydrated, there is so much water in food! I asked my pediatrician and she agreed that he would not get dehydrated! I don't know if it will work for you but it worked wonders for us....Also my son has a nurse that follows him and she gave me a suggestion as well! Try diluting his milk say 6 oz milk to 2 oz water....For 1 week than dilute 4 to 4 and so on until bottle is just water and the sippy cup is the only thing with milk. I wish you the best of luck!
by on Aug. 1, 2007 at 11:59 PM
I had this problem with my now 3yr old. And my 16month old is attached to the bottle...everytime he sees one he freaks. I have the same issue he will drink juice from a sippy cup but when he has milk he gives me this look of what is that. It is have to give them NO OPTION. For my son Elijah who is now 3yrs old I got rid of all the bottles so i too didnt have a choice. If he isnt drinking the milk and he is the water then dont worry if you give more snacks such as cheese and yogort and milk products. He will get it...I am working on my son too and now before nap he used to have a bottle instead after lunch he gets a bowl of yogort and I still give him a bottle of water for bed. ONLY water!!! Oh and I fin dthe soft straw sippys have worked the best for my little guy....GOOD LUCK let me know if you find something that works great!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)