Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:58 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 487 Total Views

Poll

Question: Are you still breastfeeding your April '06 baby?

Options:

Yes, planning child led weaning

Yes, planning parent led weaning

Yes, trying to wean right now

No, Never did

No, just weaned, parent led

No, just weaned, child led

No, weaned long ago

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 52

View Results

How many of you are still breastfeeding? Are you planning on doing child led weaning? If you are not still nursing your little one, why not and when did you stop?

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flora52
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Bump for poll!

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
imthemama0608
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I am still nursing my April 06 baby and my March 08 baby...  Kaitlyn (april baby)  still nurses a few times a day.. I will be waiting until she is ready to wean..and I will do the same with my son..

ssmith325
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:33 PM

I breastfed Caitlin until she was about 14months old.  She was the one who decided she was finished, and it was fine with me LOL.  I was ready to be done too :-)

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

myshelle98
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Unfortunately my body didnt produce enough milk and I stopped trying to breast feed around 4 or 5 months. Other women in my family have breast fed until about 2 years. Last night there was a special on 20/20 that showed kids as old as 9 were still breast feeding! Now here's a good question--if kids can breastfeed for so long, why do people make a big deal out of a 2 year old drinking out of a bottle?

MrsJasonHubler
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I am wondering the same thing.  I have been harrassed by my mother-in-law about my 2 year old (almost 3 now) still drinking out of a cup during the day and still having one to fall asleep with.  I figured that she weaned herself off of breastfeeding by herself and she will do the same thing with the cup.  My daughter also basically potty trained herself; one day I decided to put panties on her and I have not had to go back to diapers or pull-ups.  My mother in law says that if she is potty trained then she doesn't need a cup; especially at night we it is more likely for accidents; but yet again; she hasn't wet herself (even while still in diapers) during the night since she was a little over 1 year old.  I don't understand, what is the big deal about her having a cup still?

mandy729
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Ainsleigh stopped nursing at the end of last January. So She hasn't nursed in almost a year. I was nursing her and her baby sister at the time. She would get frustrated sometimes "sharing' with her baby sister. Alyssaleigh(her baby sister) was exclusively breastfed until 6 months when we started on baby food.  Ainsleigh was also exclusively breastfed until she started on food. She decided to stop. She lays on my shoulder every night while her baby sister eats and will hold my breast for Alyssaleigh. Ainsleigh does "breastfeed" her baby dolls. Oh yeah to answer the ? of whose decision it was well it was hers.

Tigger4399
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I wish it would have been longer, but Jonathan was 7 weeks when he was weaned. I ended up in the hospital for 2 days because of my gallbladdder. My husband had minor foot surgery a few days before and was stuck with an almost 2 year old and a 7 week old at home. I didn't take my pump with me because I went in through the ER and didn't expect to be admitted. After I had the surgery on the 2nd day, I was told that he couldn't have the milk for 2 days anyway because of the anesthesia so I decided it would be a good time to wean him.

Rickysmom4206
by on Jan. 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Probably because they don't do it in public, so no one knows!  I had no idea people BF that long!  CREEPY! I'm sorry, I don't want to offend, but IMO 12 months is a good time to stop, if you go longer, great, but once they're in preschool it gets a little weird, and 9yrs is seriously creepy!

Quoting myshelle98:

Unfortunately my body didnt produce enough milk and I stopped trying to breast feed around 4 or 5 months. Other women in my family have breast fed until about 2 years. Last night there was a special on 20/20 that showed kids as old as 9 were still breast feeding! Now here's a good question--if kids can breastfeed for so long, why do people make a big deal out of a 2 year old drinking out of a bottle?

Titania101
by on Jan. 10, 2009 at 12:11 AM

i stoped breast feeding my angel when she was 9 month old. she was half breast half formula. i stopped because she started to chew on me. someone told to flick her cheek. i couldn't do that so i just stoped. i other daughter now is 6 months old but she is totally breat. and she has issues she crys and crys when i leave and i can't even return to work because of this. she will take a bottle but she won't sleep unless i am her pacifier. so she will cry until she has me. i don't know what to do. she is so fustrating. i can't even leave for 2 hours. the most i can leave is 1. she still feeds every 2 to 3 hours like she is a newborn i don't know if she is really hungry or just wants to suck on me. she is so attached to me. i really need some advise from other breast feeding mommies. if there  is anyone that can plz let me know  

momofsaee
by on Jan. 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I am all for extended BF, but 9 seems a little strange. That sounds like more of a mothers attachment than a childs, but whatever. I would think that if a child did not wean themselves by 2 - 2 1/2, that it would not be something they would do voluntarily. Almost like, the longer you keep at it, the harder it will be? Its been that way with my kids and other issues. I had breast surgery in 02, so no breastfeeding at all for me. I was sad, but prepared. The passy was another whole issue...LOL. I finally just let him lose all of them and didn't replace them. The whole thing about the bottle at 2......more moms do that than want to admit it. I let my child have a bottle until he was 2 1/2. In October we finally got rid of them. I didn't care who knew about it either. Hes a little more immature than most kids his age anyway, so I let it go. Whomever is still BF....good for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)