Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Crib vs. Toddler bed

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

Are there any others that are still in a crib?  Our crib converts to a toddler bed, but I haven't been in a hurry to do it because she doesn't try to climb out of it and it keeps her contained when I want her to nap and she does not want to.  Am I being lazy? (You can be honest here--I'm asking for it :) I just don't feel like fighting to get her to stay in her bed.  Also, she tosses and turns quite a bit when she sleeps, so I'm afraid she'll fall out of her toddler bed during the night.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
purvislets
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I had a lot of fears when we moved my daughter into a toddler bed around her 2nd birthday.  I was afraid she'd fall out of bed (she's a frequent toss and turner), or that she'd sneak out of her room in the middle of the night.  The first few nights were a nightmare.  Since she figured out she could get out of bed, we were up and down putting her back for hours and hours.  There were lots of tears (from both of us!) and crying and frustration.  But after a week, it became a lot easier.  Now it's been almost a year and she's doing really wonderful.  We did install a baby gate in front of her door, so even if she does wake up in the middle of the night she can't raid the pantry or get into anything she's not supposed to.  Any time I need to keep her contained, I'll either put her in her room with the gate closed or the in the playpen.  Honestly, the sooner you start the transition, the better.  She can't sleep in the crib forever.

Lanasmom06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:06 PM

My dd is still in her crib for the exact reasons you mentioned.  I am thinking of moving her into a toddler bed soon, though.

Blanktag-33.gif picture by lanasmom06

zeester2001
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I put my 2 year old in the crib still because he has a disability and he fell a few months ago and got a skull fracture. So, I am extra careful.

justanotherjen
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Nora's been in a big girl bed since last March when she was 23 months.  She loves her bed.  She was sleeping in the pack-n-play before that and had gotten to big for it so she had to move to a bigger bed.  It's a junior bed from Ikea and she'll use it until she was 10 or so.  My older girls have them, too (they are 8 1/2 and 6) and have plenty of room to grow in them.

Meagan 6.28.00       Owen 10.1.01        Brenna 11.8.02       Nora 4.5.06

pyratmom
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 5:09 PM

ds has been in a twin bed for over a year. he kept climbing out of the crib. i wish he would have stayed in a little longer, but it was dangerous keeping him in it. he got stuck between the crib and the wall. ergh.. both my boys were climbing out of the crib at 15 months old.

nep.gifblinkprayerchanges.gif

eagertolearn
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM

It is a difficult decision,  all kids are different,  and maby your little one is perfectly fine in the crib,  mine is for now,  he shares his room with his 6 y/o sister,  she uses the bed (was her crib) that converted from a crib to a bed.  We have an upstairs,  so for safety we prefer him to stay in his crib,  he does not try to climb out so far,  and I have a monitor to keep an ear out if I wake up or if he tries to climb out,  if he did try to climb out and that was a safety hazard,  than I would switch him.  

binksmommy
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM

My daughter is still in her crib. She has no desire to climb out of it at all so I have decided to wait.  I do not plan on even using a toddler bed as I think that is just one more transition, so we will get her a twin bet and put those little side things on so she wont fall out. Since her room is upstairs I also plan on putting a gate at her door so she cannot go down the stairs by herself! I am still scared of her falling!

I believe every child is different and you just have to do what is best for them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)