Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bedwetting Alarm

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son has recurrent bedwetting issues. I am considering investing in a bedwetting alarm. Has anyone used one before? What were the results? Does anyone have advice on what one to buy? Thanks!

by on Nov. 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NikiAnne
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2011 at 1:38 AM

My son wet the bed regularly and so when he was around 7 we started discussing an alarm. I talked to him about different options (still wearing pull-ups, waking him up at night, etc.) At first he didn't want to try the alarm, he thought it would shock him! When I told him it wouldn't shock and it had different settings like just sound or sound and vibrating (like a cell phone, not a shock) then he liked the idea. We got it in the mail and he was excited to give it a try. I don't know if it was just a good timing, but we got good results almost immediately!. He'd wet the bed almost nightly up to that point and with the alarm he started having dry nights almost immedietly. Not every single night, but most nights. By the time he turned 8 (we'd had the alarm 3-4 months) he was pretty consistently dry. He's now 10 and occasionally (maybe less than once per month) he'll wake up wet, but its not really a problem anymore.

Getting the alarm was definitely the turning point for us. It wasn't a complete fix, but it was definitely when we started having more dry nights than wet. I got ours from the Bed Wetting Store online and it was called the Wet-Stop 3. It's now around $50 + shipping (when I bought it, it was closer to $70). We went with a cheaper one because I wasn't sure how well it would work. I would have preferred a wireless, but the wire (that runs under the shirt) didn't seem to bother him.

I did not consider the alarm until my son was older. We started considering it around 6 and finally bought it around 7. I probably wouldn't worry about it much before that. But if your son is older (you didn't mention his age) then I would definitely recommend considering it. If you have any other questions about our experience, let me know. Good Luck!

MooreTrio
by New Member on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

My son is almost 6 and in September we bought a bed wetting alarm. I bought a malem ultimate from the bed wetting store online and read the book they sent from cover to cover. I then followed all of their instructions to a tee (double voiding before bed, fully waking the child after the incident and having him assist in changing the bedding and so on). For a child who NEVER had a dry night, h6e slowly began having dry nights. 6 weeks in to using it our urologist did a cystogram and my sons bladder is the size of the average 1 year olds. He put him on dopamine for a 12 month regime.  It's been another 6 weeks and my son has been dry for 3 of those weeks. He will stop wearing the alarm in another week if he continues to stay dry. For my son I believe it is a combination of the medication and the alarm however I believe the alarm has allowed him the chance to realize what is happening and was a huge step for him!

megan-amom
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Sending out a big hug to all moms and children dealing with nightly bedwetting. I have a child who wet the bed nightly (often several times) until he was 8 years old. At first, I just invested in a couple pair of washable, waterproof underwear- this webpage has lots to choose from in lots of different sizes even waterproof boxers. And used a waterproof sheet protector to minimize the laundry.  Also new medical studies are finding that constipation is a significant factor.  This book expains.
At the age of seven the bedwetting began to chip away at his self esteem. We solved his bed wetting by using an alarm. A child who wets at night has a sleep pattern in which the brain does not react to the full bladder signal. The alarm gradually trains the child's brain to react. He went from being wet every single night to completely dry in about 6 weeks. The bed wetting alarm  has given us years of dry nights. 
My child absolutely loved the children's book, Prince Bravery and Grace - Attack of the Wet Knights. It is the story of a young prince who struggles with "the Wet Knights" and eventually defeats them by using an alarm. It's funny yet empathetic and gave him the understanding and motivation to end the bed wetting. The best advice for parents about how to stop bedwetting I found is the book, Seven Steps to Nighttime Dryness, by Renee Mercer. Invest in the books-they make the process so much easier, then an alarm -its the best decision I ever made. www.braveryandgrace.com

KayDziedzic
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

DS(7) has been using an alarm for just over a month. He was soaking the bed at least 5 nights a week. Now he's wetting about 3 nights per week, and it's been over a week since he wet more than just his underwear (pj's and bedding have been dry, just a small wet spot on his skivvies).

We have the Dry-Me Bedwetting Alarm from the Bedwetting Store. We chose it because it's the cheapest one they sell ($56.90 after shipping) and it was DS's favorite--he loves the different alarm sounds. I've given in and started shelling out for the Good Nights Bed Mats because it's so much easier for DS to take care of himself, and we're rarely needing to change them. The one on his bed now has been in place for a week and is still sticking.

The first couple of weeks were rough. DS and I had both gotten our hopes up that the alarm would 'cure' DS of bedwetting in the first week. (While most of the testamonials and reviews report it taking weeks-months for their child to stay dry, there are 2 or 3 that stopped wetting completely within the first week or two. It is emphasized throughtout the website that this is NOT the norm, and the product packaging says to expect an average of 12 weeks before your LO no longer wets the bed.) The alarm sounds are like a kids' toy laser and it rotates through them to keep your LO from getting accustomed to the sound and sleeping through it as a result. This has been effective for both DS and I (we still use a baby monitor because we have younger kids as well, and it picks up the alarm very well, even though it's in a different bedroom). Some reviewers said the clip on their alarm broke, but we've had no problems.

$50+ is a significant purchase for our family and I was leery about trying it, but I am so glad I finally ordered the alarm! It's making a huge difference in our lives.

I hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)