Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi Everyone,

My lunch break just got over, so I don't have a lot of time to read thru posts, but I'm hoping someone can help me. My son is turning 12 years old this year and wets the bed. He stopped with he was 2-3 and potty trained, then at 4 years old, a few months after his bio-father left, and before he was diagnosed with Type I diabetes, he started wetting again. I thought it was b/c of his BF, then I thought it was b/c of the diabetes. But it's been so long, and his diabetes is under control, he is still  wetting. He goes 3-4 times a night, so even if I do wake him to use the bathroom, he still wets. He wets through a pull up his clothes and onto his sheets and blanket. Plus he takes melatonin at night to help him sleep through the night.

His pediatrician finally gave me DDVAP. He's taking 3 pills at night and still soaking through the diaper. I didn't refill the script b/c it's not doing anything. I checked to see if there are any other meds that can help, but the only one is an anti-depressant and my son can't take that b/c they make him suicidal.

I know my son has a lot of things against him. He has a skin disorder that makes him dehydrated, over heat, and he's always thirsty. He has type I diabetes, which if his sugars go high his body will start urinating to get rid of the sugars, and he has bipolar disorder which has him on 2 meds, 1 of which causes bedwetting, and 1 of which causes dehydration. Plus bipolar kids tend to be bedwetters. My father was a bedwetter too, which means it could be something genetic on top of it all!!!

There are times I think, just give up. There's no way I can help him. But I guess as a last resort I'm asking if anyone has any ideas that I can try?

Any help would be appreciated.

C7

~31 year old Mom with Seasonal Affective Disorder~
~
11 year old boy with Type I Diabetes, Bipolar Disorder and Skin Disorder~
~5 year old girl who is uncannily healthy~
~Married for 8 years to an adoring man~

by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
zadesmom1998
by on Nov. 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM
My 12 yr old also has bipolar and sometimes wets the bed. He sleeps so soundly he just doesn't wake up to urge. I have noticed that when he has a stressfull day it is guarenteed to happen. I try to make him feel less emberassed by it but sometimes it gets to him. Just be the good mom i'm sure you are and be supportive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charmed7up
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Hi Zades Mom,

We have quite a few things in common, lol. My son doesn't seem to even care that he does it. He's a little embarassed about needing to wear pull ups. Like if a kid saw us buying them at the store he might just pass out. But at home, it's hardly discussed. He just keeps peeing and has to keep cleaning up after himself.

Is there no other remedies out there? I hate that we'll just have to wait this out, and he may not even out grow it.

C7

kmrtigger
by on Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Welcome to the group ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)