Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids Top 5 Questions about bedwetting

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM
  • 19 Replies

1. Why am I bedwetting? The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) says kids who wet the bed don't do it on purpose. It happens because kids don't wake up when they need to use the bathroom. It may also be happening because the kidney makes too much urine during sleep, the bladder is unable to hold urine or there's a hereditary link (i.e., bedwetting runs in the family). It also can be caused by another medical problem. "Depending on the child's age and medical status, there may be different reasons for bedwetting," says Dr. Sophy. A trip to the doctor's office will help rule out any underlying medical causes. When asked this question by a patient, Dr. Michael Wasserman - a pediatrician with the Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans, La. - says he tells them that urinary bladders, the place that stores the urine they make, have control systems that do not always work well but will do so as the child matures. 2.How can I stop bedwetting? You and your child can work together to find the bedwetting management technique that works best for you and your family. Seek out assistance from the doctor, suggests Dr. Sophy. The NKF suggests some management techniques for the child to discuss with a parent and doctor: * Don't drink a lot before bedtime. * Avoid drinks with caffeine. * Have a family member wake the child up at night to use the bathroom if the child isn't able to get himself up. * Use a calendar to keep track of wet and dry nights. * Ask the doctor about treatments that might help. * Wear disposable underpants for relief and to prevent wet sheets. "Of those kids who bedwet, 15 percent will stop each year, regardless of what therapy we choose to do or not do," says Dr. Wasserman. "So time is on the child's side, meaning that this usually goes away." 3. Do any of my friends wet the bed at night? Bedwetting is more common than people may think! Tell your child that more than five million children in the United States continue to wet the bed past the age of 6, according to the NKF, and most of them outgrow it. So it is likely that your child knows someone who wets the bed. 4. Is bedwetting normal? In general, the vast majority of children who bedwet are medically normal, says Dr. Wasserman. In fact, many children who wet the bed have parents who themselves were bedwetters. In some cases, bedwetting may be an expected manifestation of a medical or psychological problem, says Dr. Sophy. An evaluation by a physician should be done to rule out any underlying medical conditions. 5. Am I broken? Another variation of this question is, "Am I different or even defective?" says Dr. Wasserman. This question - along with the others - is usually asked because the child feels different, in a negative way. "Their self-esteem is diminished and this is, by far, the most important aspect of this problem to which their parents should pay attention," says Dr. Wasserman. "Parents need to not make the bedwetting a negative experience but need to focus on the positive accomplishments of the child. Using a reward/recognition system for those dry nights is a beginning. Verbal praise is effective, along with other formats, such as a calendar with stars for dry nights." It's often because of fear, embarrassment and confusion that children ask these particular questions. But sometimes they'll be too caught up in those emotions to ask at all. Dr. Wasserman has found that boys tend to be more uncomfortable than girls to discuss "body function" issues. Interestingly, it's not the kids who usually ask him about bedwetting, but the parents. "[The kids] do not usually articulate their anxieties in a direct fashion, even upon questioning from me," says Dr. Wasserman. All the more reason, then, for parents to be prepared. Parents are best taking their child's lead, says Dr. Sophy. "The older the child, the more the tendency for embarrassment and issues of self-esteem," he says. "In smaller children, confusion and anger [about] the uncontrollable are in the forefront and open. Honest discussion is always best." Let your child draw out how he feels and write accompanying text, and have him end the book the way he likes. Bind the book either by stapling it together or using a three-hole punch and tying the book together with ribbon.

by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sakeenah35
by on May. 9, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Very informative. My biggest issue with my daughter is self esteem. I pray she outgrows this. The doctors always says this, and they dont see a problem.angry

momto6griders
by on May. 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM

My son as always got up at night to go to the bathroom when he was 2 year old. when he trun 3 that when every thing happy he was wetting the bed and I have talk to his dr. about she tills me he will out grow it. now he is 5 year old and still doues it. everyday he will stay in his room if one of the other kids friends are over it not right. I wish I could do something for him. we have stop drinks 2 hr be for he gos to bed now want do I do?

Julie25
by New Member on May. 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I know my son is 9 will be 10 yrs in few months he is still waiting the bed even when I GET HIM UP A COUPLE TIMES @  Night . he was on meds for this but it didnt help at all.

single_and_preg
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM

BUMP!

bhwrn1
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Intersting. Thanks for posting this. It was very informative.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM

"Am I different or defective?" How sad for a child to wonder this.

kmrtigger
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Quoting Bmat:

"Am I different or defective?" How sad for a child to wonder this.

Yes, very sad.

owensmom34
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM

This was a good article.  I think a lot of kids have problems in school because they are afraid to ask a teacher if they can use the bathroom.  Some teachers are real strict and don't let the child get to the bathroom.  I told my kids if your teacher won't let you, just go anyways and I will deal with this teacher.

KBix
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM

very informative thanks

AM-BRAT
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN