Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's something you were taught growing up that you would want to pass on to your children?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 302 Total Views
I sorta took this from the other LDS Mommies board.  I thought it should be here too. 

I didn't grow up in an LDS family, I'm a convert so there aren't really any religious things to try to pass along that my parents taught me.  However, they did teach me to never discriminate against anyone, to love everyone for who they are, and to accept everyone for what they believe.  Since people of other churches don't believe the same exact things we are not always going to agree most things and it's pointless to agrue because noone is going to agree on most things.  So, just accept people for their beliefs because all human beings have feelings and trust me, it's NOT fun to be told "you're wrong" in something you believe so strongly about from someone of a different church. 

I want to know what everyone wants to pass along to their kids.

by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jambo4
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM
What a great question!Wink  One thing I didn't mention on this question on the other group is that I hope I instill the importance of tithing onto my children.  My parents were poor but this is something they taught me and I so far I am pleased that my kids are picking it up.  My son bore his testimony last Sunday and mentioned the blessings he has received for paying his tithing.  It was quite touching.  He's twelve and heading in the right direction as we head into the teens.
mamacoleman
by Group Admin on Mar. 30, 2007 at 10:56 AM
Wow, talk about a subject that gets you to sit down and reminisce!  My Grandparents did a lot to help raise me and my sisters and what they taught me that I want to pass on to my children is respect.  My children do not speak to adults without addressing them as sir or ma'am first.  They say please and thank you, and they don't bother throwing tantrums(they know it gets them nowhere).  By respecting yourself and others, many other things just seem to fall into place.

What my mother taught was perseverance.  To never give up, even when everything else is stacked against you.  She is an amazing woman!
Sndrs7
by on Mar. 30, 2007 at 11:04 AM
I come from a part-member family. My father wasn't and still isn't a member. But he is one of the best people I know and I have learned a lot from him. Mostly his examples. The first thing that came to mind was that sarcasm is not healthy and can be hurtful. Something else I learned is to respect others, especially your elders.
GrandmaC
by on Mar. 31, 2007 at 10:43 PM
I was taught that if I had a problem or just needed to talk no matter what it was. I could always come to my parents. When I got married I bought that to my family also. My children and I have a very honest relationship. They know they can come and talked to me about anything. Being honest is the best policy....My children are now teaching their oldest children even as young as they are, that they need to tell the trueth and talk to mom and dad.
Lighthouse
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 2:20 AM
 I think I would like to teach my kids about Forgivness.  Growing up with 6 sisters and 2 brothers, there was alot of arguments. My parents always taught us to let it go. If you stay mad it will just bring you down. It took YEARS to finally understand that.  So now as an adult, if I am upset about something I am mad but I cool off and let it go. Anger is invitation to bad spirits. I would rather let things go. Life is to short. It has helped me alot in my relationships with family friends and in other situations. I hope my kids will learn the same thing from me.
santoremom
by on Apr. 15, 2007 at 6:15 PM
I was fortunate unough to grow up in a home where my parents thought it was very important to teach by example.  I was taught so many good examples that it is hard to pick just one but the one I feel is most important for my kids right now is;  My mother always taught me to be kind and respectful to everyone I saw.  Especially the elderly.  My mother was always smiling at everyone and saying hello to everyone, everywhere we went.  It always made people feel so good and comfortable.  I have adapted that same characteristic and I see it rubbing off on my children..  One day the wind blew over my elderly neighbors trash can and she was out there struggling to lift up the 3 1/2 foot trash can.  My 9-year-old daughter and I saw her out the front window and without saying anything to me she started running out to help her.  I was so touched and happy wathcing her help that it took a minute to realize that she was not strong enough and then I felt bad that it took so long for me to go help.  Anyway,  I hope my children will always be sweet, loving and kind to all that they see no matter how young, old or what they look like.....
bfhoward73
by on Apr. 17, 2007 at 4:38 PM
My parents joined the church before I was even thought of. They were sealed in Salt Lake after the first 3 kids. Then my brother and I were born in the covenant. So, they had a lot of challenges teaching the gospel, so new to them, to their family. But, they did. My sister, me, and 2 of my brothers all married in the temple, those two brothers also served missions. My youngest brother has fallen away and is single.
But, since they came from poor families and other faiths, they taught us to love what we have, not lust for what we don't have. Also, they taught us to be understanding of other faiths. Wow, it can be hard, being raised in the south, the bible belt. everyone here feels like Mormons are not Christians, but i just correct them and those who are listening with the spirit will continue to be friends, those who are not, well, too bad.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
This  is so uplifting.
Brenda
www.love2bewithmykids.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)