Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you think Teens should have easy access to birth control?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: Should teens have easy access to any type of birth control?

Options:

Yes they should

Only above age 16

Only in certain situations

Never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

Should teens have easy access to birth control, of any type, including the pill, without their parents' knowledge?

Your thoughts??

Divorced, Separated, Single or Widowed Moms! Check out this awesome group!! http://www.cafemom.com/group/ConfidentSingleMoms

by on Jan. 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianaS
by on Jan. 14, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Let's be honest.  Teens WILL have sex without their parents' knowledge.  IF they are going to do it anyway, they should be prepared to protect themselves from pregnancy, STD's,AIDS,etc.

Whether we agreeornot, it is a reality. Especially these days with sleazy rolemodels (both male and female) in the media.  If would rahter they use protection andnot end up with an unwanted pregnancy.  In the long run, the BABY would pay the price.  Tha, it unfair in my eyes.  A baby should be born into a loving responsible relationship.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Quoting AdrianaS:

Let's be honest.  Teens WILL have sex without their parents' knowledge.  IF they are going to do it anyway, they should be prepared to protect themselves from pregnancy, STD's,AIDS,etc.

Whether we agreeornot, it is a reality. Especially these days with sleazy rolemodels (both male and female) in the media.  If would rahter they use protection andnot end up with an unwanted pregnancy.  In the long run, the BABY would pay the price.  Tha, it unfair in my eyes.  A baby should be born into a loving responsible relationship.

Ditto! 

And, I have 4 grown children.  I made certain they were aware of all the consequences & responsibilities.  My girls were taken to my OBGYN so they weren't "cattle herded" by free clinics.  My boys knoew there is a box of condoms in their bathroom cabinet.  This is in no way to say I condone teen sex.  But, that they had/have the access to responsible protection for what we ALL know may be inevitable!  

That having been said...I am PROUD to say we had no teen pregnancies in our househole.  My girls are 32yo & 30yo.  My twin boys are 17yo and are proud to announce that they are still virgins.  They say they have enough issues keeping up their grades without adding female politics into the mix.  They see the crap their friends go through and just don't want any part of it for right now.   

lighthousema24
by on Jan. 15, 2010 at 5:46 AM

The bottom line is that teens are going to experiment.  If they chose to experiment with sex they need to be able to have access to whatever type of birth control they chose to protect them from becoming parents as a result of their curiosity. Granted whether they chose to use it or not is something we cannot control, but I feel it is responsible mothering to make it available to them.  

Kar~lighthousema24

lighthousema24

rkoloms
by on Jan. 15, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Yes, along with many conversations. One thing that we have stressed to our daughter is that she will know that she is ready for a sexual relationship when she and her boyfriend are able to openly discuss what they like and don't like (sexually), what form of birth control to use and who will pay for it, come to an agreement on what to do if the birthcontrol fails.

The banana and condom talk is important too, and lifesaving.

Robin in Chicago

Fairegirl33
by on Jan. 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I believe that all teens should have easy access to CONDOMS

Not the pill, the pill is specific to each person and needs to be used under the supervison of a doctor. 

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I have sons & daughters.  And, in no way do I want them to depend on strictly condoms!!  Condoms have always been easily accessed.  Kids can & do buy them just about anywhere.  Nothing new.  But, they need to be used in conjunction with a female contraceptive, as well.  Condoms are well known for breakage.  Although there are hundreds of types of birth control pills, easier access doesen't mean they have to be in a dispensing machine.  They can still be dispensed by a doctor who monitors how a girl reacts to it.  If girls want the pill without their parents' involvement, they should be able to go to any family planning clinic.  At least it is more responsible than no birth control at all.  I didn't want my daughters going to family planning.  Therefore, we talked about it openly and agreed that when the time came, they would go to my OBGYN.  Worked out great for us.  As for my boys, they've been taught that you can NEVER rely on a condom by itself!

diane-b
by Member on Jan. 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I would rather be suprise to find out about B.C. than a baby on the way.....

starchild321
by on Jan. 17, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Yes I think they should have access to it. We may not like the idea of our teens having sex, but I know with me personally, I am not in a hurry to be grandparent or have to deal with rather to terminate or put up for adoption. I already know what that feels like, it was handled. She was almost 18 and made her choice that we are still paying the loan back for.  Its something I wouldn't want to go through again on figuring that crap out when it could be prevented.

Ewadun
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Initially my first response was Hell naw. Then after reading everyone responses, I had to face the reality: I can't watch my daughter or son 24/7. And, as someone else so aptly put it, I'd rather be surprised by them using birth control than someone pregnant.

I've taken my daughter to Planned Parenthood's Teen Scene where they did skits with parents and teen separately. Later, we were brought together and did a skit together. This helped me to deepen the sex talk with my daughter. At 14, thus far, she's indicated no interest in boys, none of calling or coming by. Thank God. Right now, she's still coming to terms with accepting her body and all the stares it attracts. As for my son, he's living with his Dad and that's his problem now.

annie2244
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I agree w the other posters. I'm very clear w her that I don't want her to have sex in high school and after that have very selective relationship based sex, but I'm not able to absolutely control this aspect of her life, so for sure I want to prevent an unplanned pregnancy or an std, now in high school or later - basically, give her the facts and values so she doesn't have an unplanned pregnancy whenever in her life.

So I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prevent sex from happening while still in high school (I'll try to keep her busy, surround her w like minded families, make sure a parent is present and overseeing at parties and overnights, start dating late and slow, values discussions, user guy discussions, talks about how sex changes your ability to objectively view a relationship, discuss how kids talk and girl's reps)

and give her lots of info to prevent her from wanting to have kids young (lots of discussions about what she sees her life looking like in her 20's - single, the fun and focus of school, starting her career, facts about life costs and career salaries, the time child rearing takes)

and lots of info to prevent her from getting unexpectedly pregnant or get an std when she does become sexually active (lots of facts about std's, how prevalent they are, what they can do to you, all the types of birth control, failure rates, health risks w some, where to get them, how you can't trust a guy to truthfully disclose or even know he has an std),

and tell her she can always come to me, but she can also talk to my sister, a friend's mom, her doctor, or the nearby pl. parenthood clinic if she ever needs help but doesn't feel ok about talking to me. And thank goodness these other resources, and birth control options are available to her and all our kids. Heads in the sand is a crazy way to live life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)