Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mouthing off

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM
  • 17 Replies

How do you handle your teen mouthing off to you??

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
backroadsmom
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:32 AM

Ha... after five teens I'm kinda numb to it! Not sure if that's a good or bad thing! But mostly I try to exercise patience. Try to understand why and what they are saying. I try to help them understand that there are better ways to communicate their feelings. I try to stay ahead of their comments.. smartly & correctly, although I don't always manage that. I mostly try to take the high road.

Three things will last forever— faith, hope, and love— and the greatest of these is love.   1 Corinthians 13:13 

Angiebooboo
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM

oh boy , i have this everyday but in the long run i win , my teens debate everything , i hate it but one thing i do is i stick to what i say , and i will only put up with so much and my kids know it . i stop talking and responding to their needs , i look at it this way they are teens they know how to cook , wash clothes , they can take care of them-self , but what they don't realize is that they need me more then they know. 

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM

We are doing our best to teach them that it is OK to communicate without sarcasm.  (yes, I'm dripping with it now, lol!)  

If they mouth off to me, I make them back up, and start over using decent words. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Quoting MrsBLB:

If they mouth off to me, I make them back up, and start over using decent words. 

This is what I do too. With all of my kids not just my teenager. I tell them to try again and will repeat myself until I get a respectful reply.

amberdy
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:22 AM

I give my son options.  I let him know that he can talk to me with the respect he should or he can give me his phone (or Xbox or something else of value to him).  He usually starts talking to me like he should really quick.

jcdmom
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM

My son is almost 11. And he is getting really mouthy , disrepectful, and sometimes just mean.

I do alot of what has already been said , Make him repeat himself till it is with respect. I wll not say anything untill he can talk to me nicely too.  I take Comp time away, TV time. also.

My son is also Aspergers so we are trying to figure out where being a teenager and where his Aspergers come in.  Regardless  I will not be treated disrepectful.

We had a tough morning! so I am just venting!!

momjacke
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM

My 16 year old is very mouthy.  We are both alot alike so sometimes we start bantering.  I have to stop myself and tell him I won't talk to him until he shows me some repect.  I like the idea of starting over again.  I am definetly going to try this.

My 10 year old is starting to get a little mouthy and I stop him in his tracks.  He has seen so much go on with the 16 year old that he knows he is wrong and usually apologizes.  He's my babe and we get along really great.

Is it too late to put soap in the mouth like we got when we were kids? 

lizmarie1975
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:33 AM

So far, no mouthing off.  Of course, he's only 13 and I've got years of it ahead of me.

I can't wait till my 4 year old becomes a teen...it's going to be crazy!

tmj32
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

My son is 14 and has recently started saying things that are disrespectful and rude.  I took his xbox a way a few weeks back for lying and he told me it was bullshit and that I must be going through my mid life crisis :-o  I hope I survive this.

lolamac
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Thank GOD I am not the only one going through this.....man. My 15yr old just spouts things out of his mouth and I am like WTF? How do you get to even think you can talk to me that way??

Well I know....his dad (my ex) is very disrespectful of women and of me particularly...so they hear the way he talks about me and other women and to other people in general and they have learned it through his example.

So not only do we deal with the typical teen mouth...we deal with one that has learned seasoned disrespect....he doesnt' call me names or things of that nature...just smart ass back talk...and the tone is very disrespectful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)