• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a password on your wireless internet?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM
  • 4 Replies

Yes we do and so far nobody outside of our house has been able to connect to our Internet. the kids around the block try over and over, they have broke into my next doors neighbors

by on May. 26, 2010 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ame4c
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Yes and so should you.  I'm a professional and once people get on your network, they can put a sniffer on it and read EVERYTHING you are doing.  I've done it in a training exersise.  They can see passwords and everything, even if they are encrypted.  Lock that sucker down!

I have mine set up so that ONLY the devices in my house can connect by locking it to the MAC address.  This is the most secure and if you do internet banking this is my suggestion.  Otherwise a WEP code would probably be enough.

Also, with this said, a Public internet access is the most unsecure place to access the internet.  Please don't access private information while using those access points.  It's like laying your credit card out on the table and saying "Here ya go"

ame4c

Please check out my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Moms_from_Dysfunctional_Families

ame4c
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Just an FYI - I have a master in Information Security Management and I am a Microsoft Certified System Engineer.  I've been working in the Information world for 15 yrs or more.

ame4c

Please check out my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Moms_from_Dysfunctional_Families

MrsBLB
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Ours is set up with a security password too. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yep ours has security. I pay for Internet so I'm not giving it to my neighbors for free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)