Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do teachers load on projects the last month of school?

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

My sophomore has a huge Spanish project due Friday, not part of the final.  Econ she has a project and that is the final so she is happy not to have to take a written final and its a group project.  English they have a large group play project due in a week or 10 days with lots of memorizing, plus a 3 part final in there the 2nd week in June.  She has a World of Children project due soon. 

Oh, I can't wait till school is out. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Wyndi
by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I know its annoying. My DD had to bake 3 kinds of cookies (bar, drop and rolled) and write a 4 page paper on Each kind of cookie, including a cost analysis for each cookie plus had to bring in a sample of each cookie. that was just for her foods class. For her finance class she had to write a 4 page paper for the SAT and the ACT tests she took. She also had to translate a children's book into Spanish ( she did Rapunzel).

On top of all that she has to take 8 finals between this Friday and next Tuesday

Formernavybrat, former navywife, And Future navyMom.

MrsBLB
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I don't know why they do it.  All three of mine had a quite a few projects due just before taking finals.  It's frustrating.  They should be given more time to study for finals. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 27, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Our school is starting finals today, so if they have a project it is part of a final or it is the final.

My dd had to do a project in history as part of her final and they have a test covering the chapter for the other half of the final. Other classes have 150 to 200 questions finals covering everything from the year.

Angiebooboo
by on May. 27, 2010 at 7:53 AM

They are teaching them how to get ready for college, thats what I was told.

tntroberts
by on May. 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I've worked in our locald school district for 13 years...90% of all the stuff the kids have to do at the end of the year is curriculum based.  Teachers have to follow the guidelines that the state throws at them, no choice in that.  It is sad though but no much the teachers can do about it.  Sorry, I'm sure that's not what you want to hear but that's the way the cookie crumbles...lol

2protectivemom
by on May. 27, 2010 at 3:54 PM

WOW, that is alot but I get frustrated because our schools are the opposite, our last month is almost all fun and games except we have "KATS Testing" and this year the "Iowa" test (we're in KY)  for about 2 weeks, and when they are done testing for the day they go outside, or  watch movies, this year it was "Gone With the Wind" and "North and South".  When "Testing" is over, the entire last 2 weeks is nothing but fun and games! One day last week they let them watch Iron Man and the following day took them to the movies to see Iron Man 2, Monday they took them on a field trip to a Civil War Site (which I do think is okay) and yesterday they took them to a Waterpark, today it was to the City Park to play ball and just goof off.  Not sure what is in store for next week (our final week) but I can guarantee it won't be much.  Probably "Spring Cleaning" the classrooms, going outside, etc.......

Personally, I feel they should concentrate on the regular curriculum until the last 2 weeks and then do the "Testing" and then if there is a COUPLE of days left, fun and games is fine. 

rkoloms
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Most classes have a project every semester or every quarter. Most of those projects are assigned weeks in advance. Teens procrastinate...

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)