Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coloring hair

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM
  • 33 Replies

Do you let your children color their hair unnatural colors? 

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

My 15 y/o son has never asked to color his hair.  But, my 12 y/o daughter has had red streaks in her hair.  And, currently we are trying to get my 9 y/o son's fauxhawk blue, but it's not working too well.  I know a lot of people think my son is too young, but they are out of school for the summer, my husband is deployed and we just wanted to have some fun.  Plus, I have red streaks in my hair.

megafine
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM

My daughter played with colored streaks in her hair last year (8th grade).  The experimenting didn't last long, and she is now over it.  I didn't make a big deal about it, although I'm glad it didn't last :P

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

My dd dyes her hair a brighter shade than her natural auburn. My MIL is a hairdresser and does it for her.

When she was 8th and some of 9th grade she was really into using the wash out colors you got at hot topic. There was always some unnatural shade somewhere on her head, pink, purple, blue, green you name it. It didn't bother us b/c it washed out after a few shampoos.

MrsBLB
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Mine have all done it.  They want to pick a color for a streak in my hair next time I get mine done.  I don't know if it will cover the grays or not.  LOL! 

amberdy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM

LOL, my hair has so many colors in it right now (including a few grays).  I'm just trying to figure out how to get the blue to stay in my son's hair.

Quoting MrsBLB:

Mine have all done it.  They want to pick a color for a streak in my hair next time I get mine done.  I don't know if it will cover the grays or not.  LOL! 

MrsBLB
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I hear ya.  What color is his hair naturally?   

Quoting amberdy:

LOL, my hair has so many colors in it right now (including a few grays).  I'm just trying to figure out how to get the blue to stay in my son's hair.

Quoting MrsBLB:

Angiebooboo
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:05 AM

No, I went to school to do hair, and I believe in the old ways, so hair color takes at least 5 years before it can grow out to be natural, our children should be happy with what they were born with.

Momof5Teens67
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I WOULD.. it's their hair and it's basically a fashion accessory lol... none of my kids ever wanted to color their hair UNNATURAL colors, although my oldest daughter, when she was 18 anyway, was trying to decide btw changing her dark sandy blonde/lit brown hair to either blonde with hot pink highlights or go way darker, honestly she would have been able to pull off either look, i am sure... they told her the pink fades very fast and then looks off quickly so she chose not to do it for that reason only...

(this blonde is not my daughter she is just pictured for the hair coloring demonstrative purposes)

(this IS my daughter and as you can see she went for darker and it looks nice on her. ) : )

samthecat001
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

well... if they are dying their hair then it IS unnatural color..lol

but if you mean like fuschia pink or something... i would say it would be ok.  its just hair.  let them express themselves.  its fun and doesnt hurt anyone (i think a lot of parent think that that makes THEM as parents look bad...which is sad to me... let your kids have fun and explore who they are a bit..hair is a safe way to do that for sure)

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM

No, never.  I won't allow my 16 year old to at all.  Her hair is a nice brown.  My 19 year old I allowed highlights because she was blond and it turned a light brown so she has blond highlights.  She started that at her 16th B'day.  Our hairdresser agrees our 16 year old has NO reason to highlight or color her hair whatsoever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)