Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Grades...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

Frustrated...is about the best word I can use to describe the feelings I have about my teenage daughters lack of concern over her grades! 

She started the school year out well, but as soon as her social life grew, her grades began to slip.  Then there was a boy for a short time, and her grades got even worse!  Now the social life has simmered down abit, but grades are still an issue!  I don't know how I can get her to understand the importance of setting priorities!  I have always tried to stress the importance of 'do what you need to do then you can do what you want'...but it has failed somewhere along the way!

Any advice???

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBLB
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I'm sorry you're frustrated.  You are not alone.  If she fails a class or gets a really bad grade, then she will understand what you've been telling her.  Repeating a class or taking summer school, is a real eye opener.  Hang in there momma.  ((hugs))

Missi

mumsy2three
by Shauna on May. 27, 2010 at 6:17 AM

You are definitly not alone. My dd is a junior and is all over the place with her grades. It drives me nuts. We don't expect her to get all A's and B's, it would be nice, we tell her there is no reason to get less than a C. She knows that if she fails a class she will repeat it the next year, I won't pay for summerschool, so I figure natural consequences keep her in check.

cayenaroja
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I have the same problem with my  13 year old daughter, everything started good and for the last 2 marking periods I have been to see the teachers 3 times because all her teachers said if she does not handle the work she's going to fail the grade, she's not handing in assignments in every class, not participating in class and not doing all her homework and missing her homework club at school. This week  I have taken my lunch late to make sure she's staying in school and doing her work, no outside activities until the teachers tell me she's done all her work. I don't think we fail they are just being lazy. You are not alone.

Mistii
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:56 AM

My kids know they will be grounded til the next report card/progress report. No phone, no friends, games, computer...you get the idea lol. My son was ground for 3 months once. Since then neither of them have had any issues. They keep up because they know they will get nailed!

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM

My 16 year old hasn't gotten the grades she is capable of freshman and sophomore year.  I figure she has to learn and if she doesn't get in to the college she wants to go to, she will have to live with that, not me. 

momofne
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I wish I knew. My son is going to have to take another summer class (see my post) but he has to pay for it!

monshine2
by on May. 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I wish I knew....We don't expect straight A's but we do ask that she tries her best and we aren't getting that for sure....

rkoloms
by on May. 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Instead of allowance, we pay for grades: $30-A; $15-B; $0-C; -15D; -$30 for an F.

Fortunately, we are lucky to have a child who understands the value of education and good grades; she is also in an educational setting where there is a lot of peer pressure to get good grades.

Angiebooboo
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:09 PM

My 3 teens are like that , but they score very high on their sat's and meap test so I just dont know what to think.

Wyndi
by on May. 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM

My DD just told me she's on track for an Honor Diploma next year. I'm dreading seing my son's grades.  He's having trouble in French and History. but his grades in those classes are B-/C+. We are hoping his finals brings up his grades.

Formernavybrat, former navywife, And Future navyMom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)