Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My son thinks he is gay

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM
  • 26 Replies

My 15 years old son decided to declare to the world on his facebook page that he is gay.

I am freaking out, because he does not act like that, and I believe that he is copying some of his friends who coincidentally pronounced the same things on their pages a few days ago.

Really do not know what to say or do. Help!!!!! 

I have no objections, if that is what he decides he is, but he is way tooo young to know.

by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km_teen
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM

thires not much to say but i will say this if you need someone to talk to about i am here my son is gay so i kinda understand. if is for realy you need to be thire to stand behind him.

Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Yes he is way to young to know, 15 hes hasn't even had sex yet, that's where I have a problem, all these young kids who are declaring that they are gay, they are to young to know what they are, somebody who is 18, 19, 20 I can understand but 13, 14, 15 NOWAY!!!!

Buggy979
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:30 PM
3 moms liked this

how can he be to young to know?  just wondering...Most children know they are gay way before they even hit puberty. this is what I would do: I would sit down and talk to him about his feelings and outlook.. Always support him and never make him feel bad about who he is..

ame4c
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM

1st find out if it's a joke or for real.  Kids play jokes all the time and maybe his file was hacked, you never know.

As for what to say if he thinks he's gay, nothing... you still love him.  If you try to push him one way or the other, he will go the opposite of where you are trying to push.  IDK why but teenagers are like that...LOL

I would probably freak if my son said he was gay, but I wouldn't let him know, because I don't want him to think he is any less than loved by me.

ame4c

Please check out my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Moms_from_Dysfunctional_Families

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Many can tell when they are very very young, way younger than your son.  I would ask him if its true or if its a joke. 

amberdy
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:03 PM

It sounds like something my 15 y/o son would do as a joke.  Are you sure he's serious?  If not, you just need to be supportive.  I don't think it's too young for him to decide he's gay.  I had several friends in HS that were gay and 15 years later, they still are.  Just talk to him and see what he says about it.

ZBandMom
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, I think you should have a talk with your son to find out if he's being serious about being gay.  Second, I'm not exactly sure where you came up with the idea that he's "too young" to know if he is gay.  Did you know your sexual orientation before you were 15? I figure most people know before they even hit puberty.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I agree. 

Quoting Buggy979:

how can he be to young to know?  just wondering...Most children know they are gay way before they even hit puberty. this is what I would do: I would sit down and talk to him about his feelings and outlook.. Always support him and never make him feel bad about who he is..

houstonswife502
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:37 PM

It could be a joke not saying its not but I think that is something kids these days dont just write to be funny. And I dont know about this whole not old enough to know if he is gay or not. But I know when I was 15 I pretty much knew if I was interested in guys or girls. So dont think its a joke just because the age is so low.

momofne
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 11:42 PM

It could be a joke or he could be wondering.I 'd ask him about it and see what he says. At that age I think most kids are wondering what if..... A friend of mines daughter said the same thing (she was a little older though 17) and her mom was very upset. I told her I could understand her feeling that way. I mean it's like your morning something that could have been. But I also told her that maybe her daughter was just a little curious or confused (I'm not saying that someone is too young to know). Ended up she decided she was straight after all. So I guess just be supportive no matter what and try not to worry too much about it. Things will work out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)