Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6/3/10 QOTD: Do your teens do chores for pay?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM
  • 12 Replies

What chores do they do?

How much do they get paid?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofne
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM

Yes my teen was but stopped when he was getting paid by his father to do things at his house (he pays more but the jobs are more laboring). He was getting $15 a week from me (he's 17) for keeping his room clean, helping with the table and dishes at meal time, bringing up the trash cans and doing at least 3 chores (dusting vacuming etc.) a week. Since he's not helping out now he's going to start doing alot on his own!! I've already made him do his own laundry.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM

TEchnically they do not but if we go to the mall and they want an outfit I would probably get it for them.  19 year old is pretty much on her own but I do float her a $10 here and there, but not that often anymore.  She buys her clothes, gas, food outside the house unless she is with me and I will buy food, entertainment. 

They only get paid for up and beyond the regular things like cleaning the whole garage, or yard work, or something out of the ordinary.  Now money changes hands for cleaning their room, or trash, or dishes etc. 

bump2pass36
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

No we don't pay our kids for chores. They are contributing to the mess they need to contribute to the clean up.  We have 6 kids  in the house so its not like any one kids gets stuck with all of the clean up.  We do pay for EVERYTHING so its not like they don't get stuff, and if they want the extra's they need to go out and earn some money...the boys are really good about getting lawns to mow, and my step daughter just got a summer job.  So that gives them money. 

Buggy979
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:35 AM

yes but no money is givin. I do the housework and do not get paid for it so neither will my girls... If they want to make money I am always suggesting to them to get a job!

amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM

They do chores, but they don't get paid.  I expect them to help around the house because they are members of this family, I give them room and board.

yolandasix
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

No I don't pay them to keep their room clean or wash dishes, but if they mow the lawn or clean the garage then yes. We'll pay $10 for the lawn or garage.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

My dd's main "chore" is keeping her room clean and cleaning up after herself in other areas of the house. She doesn't get paid for it.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Most of their smaller family team work chores that we ALL pitch in and do, like dishes in the dishwasher or taking out the trash for example they do not get paid... we consider it just part of being a helpful member of the family and a team member in the house and we do it too.

BUT if they do something major, big or extra, especially when not asked to, we do offer them money, they get about $20-$30 each week in the summer for cutting the lawn, trimming all the hedges, using the weedwhacker and making sure there is no litter in our yard and sweeping up the clippings. Same for shoveling after a snow storm in the winter.

Every once in awhile I come home from a date or something with my husband and one of my daughter's has done ALL my weekly chores in the entire house and we offer her money for doing that too, especially because they do it on their own initiative and they never even ask for money.
mom1T2Ldh
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

They would if they do them without getting told to do them since I have to remind them no and they just get the basics of what they need.

specialwingz
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Quoting bump2pass36:

No we don't pay our kids for chores. They are contributing to the mess they need to contribute to the clean up.  We have 6 kids  in the house so its not like any one kids gets stuck with all of the clean up.  We do pay for EVERYTHING so its not like they don't get stuff, and if they want the extra's they need to go out and earn some money...the boys are really good about getting lawns to mow, and my step daughter just got a summer job.  So that gives them money. 

My sentiments exactly, Jody!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)