Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be disappointed in your teen...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM
  • 23 Replies

if they didn't go to college, tech college, or in the military?  I have to say I would be very very disappointed.  In this day and age, its hard to get a job to support yourself or a family with a college degree or tech college, let alone just a HS diploma. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickychatter
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I'm disappointed that my son hasn't went to college, but I"m not disappointed in him. He does have a job at a fast food restaurant and has options of moving up to management, but I still want him to take some college courses at least.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I went to college and quit after 1 1/2 years, but then went to medical assisting school.  I know it disapointed my parents I didn't finish college but they were happy after I was married, that I went to medical assisting school.  We moved a lot and I was able to have at least one job offer, sometimes multiple offers for medical assisting jobs within a couple weeks after moving.  It worked out well. 

Jess0915
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I wouldn't be disappointed at all. I didn't finish my degree but ended up getting a job other people had a bachelors degree for. It's all in how you portray yourself and how you work.

My SIL has a MASTERS degree and works at STARBUCKS.

So, it really makes no difference to me, hard work and dedication mean more to me then a degree.

JMO.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM

I think in the current economy, a college degree is definitely beneficial.  I want all of my children to seek some kind of higher education or the military.  I would probably be a little disappointed if they didn't.

yolandasix
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Yes I would be disappointed. Not everybody is fortunate to get a job and move up in the ladder without a degree. Kuddos to you if your able to.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I wouldn't be disappointed in her if she chose not to go to college or the military, it's her choice. I would hope that if she didn't go right after high school she would choose to go some day. 

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

This is how I feel too. 

Quoting mumsy2three:

I wouldn't be disappointed in her if she chose not to go to college or the military, it's her choice. I would hope that if she didn't go right after high school she would choose to go some day. 

Wyndi
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

I agree. One of mine will be signing papers with the Navy on Monday. My other one we will see what he wants to do down the road.

Formernavybrat, former navywife, And Future navyMom.

parrishsky
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Yes, I'd be disappointed.

I can't say how I'd react exactly but I would let them know they are making a huge mistake.

So far my oldest will be starting his Junior year in college and the other 2 expressed going to local college for 2 years and then 2 years away. I hope nothing gets in the way and they stick to that.

Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Yes, but I also think that our kids are being burnt out, from school and I think that teens should take a year off and work, they need to learnt the way things really are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)