Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NY teen gets suspended from school for wearing a Rosary

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM
  • 9 Replies
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM

I guess it depends on the handbook and rules.  If no gang related necklaces and this is a form of it (strange) but whatever.  Our school doesn't allow bandanas as its gang related they say.  Even round the neck, or wherever.  Its not allowed. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM

The question is also was this teen just pushing the envelope.  I have never in my 12 years of school seen anyone wear a rosary to school and neither have my teens.  SO its not that common of a thing. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

The video wouldn't load for me, my computer is really slow today. I did see the headline on CNN though.

In the highschool where I work there is a large Hispanic population and the administration had to ask students to either not wear the rosary beads or keep them in their shirts b/c it was in some way gang related between groups of kids that kept getting into fights.

Now please know that I do not live in a city, we are in a very small rural town in PA but the rosary gang relationship apparently came from whatever area in Mexico these students were from.

So to keep the peace in the school building the students did have to follow the rule. If it were just based on religion that would be different but the students in our explained to Admin that it was a gang related symbol.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

The question is also was this teen just pushing the envelope.  I have never in my 12 years of school seen anyone wear a rosary to school and neither have my teens.  SO its not that common of a thing. 

Rosary beads are big in the Hispanic/Latino community, where I live many of students wear them to school.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting atlmom2:

Rosary beads are big in the Hispanic/Latino community, where I live many of students wear them to school.

We lived in Atlanta 4 years and none of the Hispanic kids wore them there.  IF they said put it in your shirt and you didn't I guess you got suspended then.  This kid wasn't going by the rules. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

specialwingz
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I live in Southern Texas with a HUGE Hispanic count in the schools.  I've been involved with the school in many capacities.  And, I can say that nobody wears rosaries to school here.  I'm Catholic.  But, I don't wear my rosary.  My church congregation is at least 80% Hispanic.  Nobody comes in wearing their rosaries.  They may carry them, but nobody wears them. 

As for schools disallowing them...school is not about religion.  One's religion has nothing to do with reading, writing, and arithmetic.  Trying to keep schools as neutral as possible, most school policies have rules about religious representation, gang indicators (backwards hats, do-rags, drooping pants, gangsta bling, etc), sexual innuendo (juicy on girls' butts, short shorts, mini skirts, racey t-shirt slogans, muscle tees, etc)...the list goes on and on.  The schools are doing what they can to keep down conflict of any sort.  In this case, it's really no different than sending home a Muslim student who wore a galabiya, carrying a prayer mat.  And, unfortunately, I'm sure schools would be on that like flies on dung, these days.

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I live in Southern New Mexico.  Our schools allow the children to wear crosses, rosaries, and head coverings for Muslim girls.  To me it makes more sense to allow it, than take it away.  There are clothing limitations, and they keep a close eye on that.

Teens go through enough, they do not need to be penalized for their religion.   

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM

It doesn't seem to be about religion, but about the fact that the rosaries are worn by gangs and nothing gang like can be worn. 

Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I think  this is getting way out of hand with the schools, They are suspend crazy, this is wrong!!! school has become too political, they suspend kids so they can use red tape to get more money, to misuse the money, Sit back and watch, our high school has 4 wheelers for our football team, I guess they use them to do What? yep keep hush or else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)