Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens' Body Images

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

How are your teens with their self image as far as body image goes? Do you notice them stressed or affected by the ridiculously unrealistically high standards in the media they see everywhere? How do you help them if they do or prevent it if they don't?

What about YOU... do you feel stressed or affected in your own self body image, why or why not?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM

My 15 y/o son is completely fine with his body image, he thinks he's perfect, LOL.  My 12 y/o dd is somewhat self conscience. She's at that awkward age, she is starting to develop, getting hips, etc.  But, all in all she's okay.

Me-I have serious body image issues.  I'm just glad it didn't wear off on my daugthers.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Fortunately, blessedly SOMEHOW all my kids have healthy body images and healthy bodies/weights (not too big or too small), overall, although my 18 yr old daughter has a tendency to worry if her hair turned out good enough and is hyper vigilant to make sure her complexion stays peaches and cream clear she does worry which hurts my heart since she is just naturally beautiful as is... my youngest son, elijah who is about to turn 15 hates his teeth, he had to get braces and that bothered him a lot he was furious but he adjusted after a short time and is handling it well now, he also worries and is self concious about having acne.

I feel extremely relieved that they didnt take after ME THOUGH bc I AM excessively self conscous and hard on myself, well i have been working hard on it, so i have improved a great deal and i am STILL working on it, it would absolutely break my heart if my kids picked that up from me or anywhere else.

My girls said they know a tragic amount of other girls from high school and even from when they were in middle school that have eating disorders, it's so sad.

I love the brand DOVE for their campaign for REAL BEAUTY and promoting healthy self image.

ps my husband has a healthy body image too but he's into body building so no wonder haha

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM
Quoting amberdy:

My 15 y/o son is completely fine with his body image, he thinks he's perfect, LOL.  My 12 y/o dd is somewhat self conscience. She's at that awkward age, she is starting to develop, getting hips, etc.  But, all in all she's okay.

Me-I have serious body image issues.  I'm just glad it didn't wear off on my daugthers.

•  i think it's awesome your son thinks he is perfect, how refreshing, lol
    atlmom2
    by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Well, I need to lose 50 lbs.  I was never ever overweight, actually skinny until I had my dd when I was 30.  I have added 5 lbs or more every 2 years or so. 

My 16 year old can eat everything in sight and never gain. She is 90 lbs and 4 ft 11. She wishes she was taller but knows that won't happen.  She wears girl size 12 jeans or 00 petite juniors. 

My 19 year old loses and gains 10 lbs every winter and summer.  I don't like it but I deal with it.  She should stay around 110 really.  She is doing a boot camp class with friends 2 days a week and she seems to love it.  I am glad she enjoys it so much.  Its a really hard workout for an hour. 

MOM'S WITH TEENS Group MOD

mumsy2three
    by Shauna on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

How are your teens with their self image as far as body image goes? My dd has a good body image most of the time. There are those monthly bloated days when she complains of being fat. Do you notice them stressed or affected by the ridiculously unrealistically high standards in the media they see everywhere? She really isn't influenced by the media, I think she compares herself more to her friends and how they look.  How do you help them if they do or prevent it if they don't?I remind her that she is the perfect healthy weight for her height and her BMI is right where it should be.

What about YOU... do you feel stressed or affected in your own self body image, why or why not? I am bad with my own self image that is why I try to be positive with my dd. I grew up in a time when if you weren't skinny you needed to do something about it even if it was an unhealthy fix. I have gotten much better, I don't have an eating disorder anymore but I do have the psychological thing where no matter how thin I get in my mind I still look fat and dumpy. So when I lose weight, which I do in a healthy way now I take pictures so I can see the progress and it keeps me from going overboard.

MrsBLB
    by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Good looking family! 

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

Fortunately, blessedly SOMEHOW all my kids have healthy body images and healthy bodies/weights (not too big or too small), overall, although my 18 yr old daughter has a tendency to worry if her hair turned out good enough and is hyper vigilant to make sure her complexion stays peaches and cream clear she does worry which hurts my heart since she is just naturally beautiful as is... my youngest son, elijah who is about to turn 15 hates his teeth, he had to get braces and that bothered him a lot he was furious but he adjusted after a short time and is handling it well now, he also worries and is self concious about having acne.

I feel extremely relieved that they didnt take after ME THOUGH bc I AM excessively self conscous and hard on myself, well i have been working hard on it, so i have improved a great deal and i am STILL working on it, it would absolutely break my heart if my kids picked that up from me or anywhere else.

My girls said they know a tragic amount of other girls from high school and even from when they were in middle school that have eating disorders, it's so sad.

I love the brand DOVE for their campaign for REAL BEAUTY and promoting healthy self image.

ps my husband has a healthy body image too but he's into body building so no wonder haha

Momof5Teens67
    by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM

thank you mrsblb.... i think they are pretty cute myself tee hee hee ; )

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)