Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Jobs?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM
  • 20 Replies

Do your teens have a job? How old are they and how long have they had their job? Do you want them to have a job or do you prefer they don't due to school? Or are your teens looking for a job but can't seem to find one to hire them?

Was getting a job your teen's idea or yours?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM

My 15 y/o son looked for a job but wasn't able to find one.  He lives in a somewhat rural area in New Jersey, so there aren't many places to work ever and with the economy it's that much harder.

Wyndi
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:57 PM

both of mine want to find summer jobs but there are no jobs in our area. The closest jobs around are 2 counties over and I'm just not going to play Taxi to drive them back and forth.

so for the time being they can enjoy being teens and focus on school.

Formernavybrat, former navywife, And Future navyMom.

wallmom1
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM

My 17 yo dd just started a new job at a childrens clothing store.  She has been babysitting for about 4 years for pocket money.  We both wanted her to work, dh and I have given her a car with insureance but will not be giving her gas money.  She also wants her own money for the mall, movies or eating out with friends.  She applied to 12 places and this was the only one who even called her in for an interview.  Yes she can work during school, it is only one weekend day and a couple of nights, so it isn't to bad.

specialwingz
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM

We live in a small rural town with fewer jobs than teens and laid-off adults.  Pizza Hut had over 150 applications come in for 2 jobs.  Not all were teens.  I want my boys to have summer jobs so they can learn the responsibility and have some money of their own.  But, the pickins are slim.  During school, I'd rather they concentrate on school.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Even in non rural areas the job market is still horrendous.. we live in a very tiny town and 4 of the teens applied pretty much everywhere in this town countless times over and over the past year or two with no phone calls back,

once they started driving, JUST TWO of them, my now 18 yr old daughter and her almost 19 yr old boyfriend, applied in a medium size town 15 min away, and two larger cities, lansing and flint michigan only 15-30 min away as well as some other tiny surrounding in between towns, they also had nice resumes my husband had helped them with and they dress nicely and are professional and polite acting, we were very proud of them, in ONE WEEKEND they got and FILLED OUT between the two of them over 150 APPLICATIONS, we were awed, they spent all day everyday filling them out and then they turned them all back in.

NO ONE CALLED BACK!!!! 

My husband has a bachelors degree and is working on a masters and has decades of life and work experience and even use to hire and fire people in his last job but lost it in this economy and he has literally put out 100s of applications and resumes in most of the states except for a handful of them across the whole country and it's been going on 3 mos and he still doesnt have a job either. its'scary and hard.

michaela and sam finally got a job but only one of them ended up being from that big stack of applications and it wasnt a very good one.

Quoting amberdy:

My 15 y/o son looked for a job but wasn't able to find one.  He lives in a somewhat rural area in New Jersey, so there aren't many places to work ever and with the economy it's that much harder.

parrishsky
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM

My oldest never had one (except helping his grandparents w/yard work) and filling jars at his uncles shop. Not really a job job.

My middle son applied for a community park position but he's on the waiting list. He also applied for Pizza Hut.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM

My oldest daughter who is now 21 1/2 has worked at a DUNKIN DONUTS/BASKIN ROBBINS store since she turned 17 and she decorates their cakes too.

Just a couple months ago, she got my middle daughter Michae'la in there who was also 17 when she got hired at just the Dunkin Donuts and they are already training her to be a shift leader.

Now those two got an interview for Michae'las boyfriend Sam there for tomorrow and the owner said already she is most likely hiring him for a different branch though.

He is so excited bc although he finally got hired at AMERICAN EAGLE at the mall in the city, they hired 30 people so the poor frustrated guy was only getting one day/night to work every 2 wks that is like teasing,so he is excited he may get 30-40 hrs a week at Dunkin Donuts now like the girls.

My 21 yr old daughters' 21 yr old boyfriend has recently been made manager at the gas station he has been working at.

My 21 yr old and my 18 yr old and her 19 yr old boyfriend are all planning on attending college partime come fall too as well.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

My 19 year old works and goes to massage therapy school.  She waits tables at Buffalo Wild Wings.  It took her only a few weeks to find a job last August, BUT she knew someone that worked there. 

My girls don't work in HS.  My 16 year olds friend has been trying to get a job.  He has an interview tomorrow so hopefully he will get the job. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:27 PM

My 16 y/o dd has been looking for a summer job. She has yet to be called for an interview. I am fine with a summer position if she gets one. I'm not sure she could handle a job when school starts again but if she finds a job and gets hired then we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

yolandasix
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM

My son is 15 and he wants to look for a part time job this summer. He also wants to take driver's ed so when he turns 16 he can get his driver's license. We told him he had to pay for it so that's why he wants a job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)