Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Would YOU Do If In Her Shoes? (kidnapped kids facebook mom)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

A California mother whose children were kidnapped 15 years ago by their father was able to finally track them down using Facebook. She started corresponding with her teen daughter via the social networking site.

But after her daughter told her that she was living a "happy life," wasn't "interested in a relationship” with her mother and broke off communication, her mother reported her findings to the authorities. This led to the arrest of the father.

Was this right? Should the mother have reported her findings to authorities, disrupting her kids' "happy" lives with their father? Or did she do the right thing?

What would you have done in her shoes?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wyndi
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I would have told the authorities regardless.

Formernavybrat, former navywife, And Future navyMom.

Stormy6669
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I would want to see my kids, he would be turned in very quickly!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:04 PM

I would have reported it right away, the very day I found them, before I communicated.  That Dad kidnapped the kids and deserved to go to jail. 

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:12 PM

i feel soooo badly for the kids and for the poor mom.

i too, would have reported him immediately upon finding them BEFORE i was corresponding with the kids.

i cant believe all the people questioning her actions on the news all over wondering if she should have left the kids alone since they are happy and want to be left alone...

sheesh a crime was committed and the mom is a victim and whether the kids realize it or not they are too. its sooo not fair or just at all

i would want my kids to be happy too but i wouldnt want them stolen from me and brainwashed against me so i didnt even have a chance to start with, how horrible.

sheri305
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

i too, would have reported him immediately upon finding them BEFORE i was corresponding with the kids.

i cant believe all the people questioning her actions on the news all over wondering if she should have left the kids alone since they are happy and want to be left alone...

sheesh a crime was committed and the mom is a victim and whether the kids realize it or not they are too. its sooo not fair or just at all

i would want my kids to be happy too but i wouldnt want them stolen from me and brainwashed against me so i didnt even have a chance to start with, how horrible.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

hugs awww thanks sheri305.... i was just thinking... it is a shame that mom isnt in our moms with teens group so we could all give her support and comfort like we do for one another isnt it?

Quoting sheri305:

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Those are her kids, He should be put away, he stole thier lifes form them and their mother.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

i agree angiebooboo, i think the kids just dont want anything to do with her bc they probably heard a bunch of brainwashing and one sided stories from dad since the day he kidnapped them and plus they probably have friends and sweethearts and whole involved lives and so now they are scared, but like you said, it is the DADS fault not the moms, it is such a sad story.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

Those are her kids, He should be put away, he stole thier lifes form them and their mother.

jabs54
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM

It's horrible all around.  The kids may resent her more now and she may never get to know them.  I think she did the right thing though to report him.  So sad :(

specialwingz
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Definitely report to the authorities. 

My ex kidnapped my twin boys when they were 9 yrs old and ran off to Canada with them.  The authorities informed him he had 7 days to return them to me or he would face international kidnapping charges.  Ever since then, the boys haved refused to have anything to do with him.  Of course, he thinks I've poisoned their brains against him.  Couldn't possibly be the way he's treated them, huh?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)