Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hoarding..not the show

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM
  • 9 Replies
Growing up my stepgrandma was a hoarder..really to the point of we slept on top of clothes an boxes..dogs ate out of bowls we ate from..she would clean baby poop off baby an go start dinner no hand washing in the 1st..no joke it was so bad that my gpa died in a house fire goin back in the to get her something to wear..he tripped over all the stuff cluttered everywhere..when the fire department finally got the fire out..all that was left was his right arm..I c my godbrother an his gf living like that..they have 2 dogs..that poop everywhere..the house smells like ammonia..its so bad that the rental office called cps on them..yet an still they haven't changed..they don't have mice..they have rats..if u have ever dealt with a hoarder..
How did u tell they were a hoarder?
Did u help them?
Did they ever get help?
If so did it help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM

hoarders run in my ex's family but I never was able to help them. I tried several times and it is like pulling teeth and they just reaccumulated again. I wouldnt let my ex get carried away at all bc I CANT STAND CLUTTER... I am the opposite. but he would fill up the garage and the basement and THAT was overwhelming and upsetting to me I cant live like that and dont at all now.

Maybe you could call the show to help them?

TOMBOI
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM
Wish I don't think he would want them in his business...I have trully thought bout it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM

I think they really need professional help.  I don't think anything you say or do will help.  Bless your heart though for wanting to!

amberdy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:39 AM

They definitely need professional help.  I don't know what to tell you.

cappiesgal
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I think that hoarders are seriously disconnected from the people in thier life. It seems to be a problem that runs deep. Things help them to feel they have a purpose. I feel bad for them.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM

I don't think a hoarder could/would change with out the help of a therapist.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Buried in Treasures is a book that they (and you) might find helpful

momofne
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Don't know but here's a bump!

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM

They have to WANT help and they need to get counseling and maybe even anti anxiety medication in some cases (not all).

I DO KNOW If someone went in there and just threw out all the mess and cleaned up everything and organized it perfectly it would just end up all cluttered and hoarded and messed up again bc it is a mental health disorder, it's an illness not just a bad habit.

NO ONE ELSE can fix it only THEY can with professional mental health support AND professional cleaner and organizational support ONGOING not just a one time thing.

and they have to WANT to change just like with alcoholism or such if they are doing it for someone else and their heart isnt in it they wont change and it wont stick.

It's a real toughie of a situation for SURE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)