Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teen dicipline

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM
  • 3 Replies

hi..how do you say no to your child/children...how do you impose dicipline on them?are you the strict type and do you have any suggestions on how to make real good friends on them esp now that they are on thier teenage years..

nengyou rock

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ame4c
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM

I just talk to mine and let them know what I expect of them and what the conciquences will be if they don't do what' expected.  The teen that lives with me full time (I have 2 step kids that are 17 & 19, but only visit every other weekend) is still a very young teen.  He has been very good at telling me where he is, but I have told him it will only take one mess up and he will lose his freedom.  We live in a small town and I allow him to go to the pool during the day and visit his friends.  He has to check in at certain times and if he changes locations he has to text me or call.

ame4c

Please check out my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Moms_from_Dysfunctional_Families

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM

No I am NOT a strict parent unless it has to do with safety or health.

I told them I try (even at my own inconvenience at times) to say YES as much as possible which is most of the time to things (not material objects but to doing things and freedoms they want) BUT I let them know I save my NOS for the big important things. I try to choose my battles wisely and when I say no I give them a reason and then I STILL listen to their viewpoints after that and am willing to take those into consideration they can possibly change my mind with a very good point I hadnt thought of or convince me to compromise but if I still stick to NO it is for safety or health most likely and I MEAN NO.

I trust my kids upfront right away and let them know that, I let them know that because they are trusted they have a LOT of freedom and a lot of privileges. BUT If they BREAK My trust it will be a long and hard work to EARN IT BACK so DONT Mess it up. THEY Love their freedom and trust so they usually dont cross that line so they dont lose it.

IF THEY do mess up they lose privileges and some freedom. I never talk down to them like I am better or more important than they are just bc I am the mom. I treat them like EQUAl AND cherished human beings bc they are.

I make sure I spend a lot of time with them and take them places to do things that they and we enjoy and I LISTEN to them when they talk to me and I care about their opinions and feelings even if I dont always agree with them they are allowed to have a different opinion than me. I respect that they are each individuals.

tabby1catt
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

My 15 year old being the youngest of 3 pretty much knows the answer before she asks......  but usually we talk about why i would say no she's the khd tht alway asks why why why so after a few whys i tell her its not discussable any more then ignore rest of the whys.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)