Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Does Your Teen Celebrate Their Birthdays?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

birthday sweetpeagifthappy birthdaypartyblowing candles

I will be walking out of the door in a few minutes to go party shopping for our YOUNGEST "baby's" 15th birthday party on Sunday. I LOVE celebrating the kids's birthdays and I even love shopping for it. If anything I get carried away I am told.

BUT When they were elementary age I REALLY went bonkers on their parties and I am still glad I am to this day.

HOW do YOUR teens/kids celebrate their birthdays? : D

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillyk65
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM

When they were young we did the whole theam party. But after 13 its all family . Like movie pizza and cake.

sheri305
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Quoting lillyk65:

When they were young we did the whole theam party. But after 13 its all family . Like movie pizza and cake.

This is us also,but now the 2 oldest,only want money,lol.

.Holly.
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Same ..after a certain age he didn't really want parties anymore. His gifts have become more expensive as he's gotten older (guitars, amps, computers etc)...so he'd prefer something like that (or going to a concert with friends- something alone those lines) instead of me spending money on a big party.  It seems it's the same for most of his close friends too, but I have noticed his "girl" friends will still have the bigger parties at times.

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Same here. 

Quoting .Holly.:

Same ..after a certain age he didn't really want parties anymore. His gifts have become more expensive as he's gotten older (guitars, amps, computers etc)...so he'd prefer something like that (or going to a concert with friends- something alone those lines) instead of me spending money on a big party.  It seems it's the same for most of his close friends too, but I have noticed his "girl" friends will still have the bigger parties at times.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM

dancingblowing candles

What the rest of you described is MOSTLY true for us too. All through elementary school they had HUGE themed parties and I would spend over a month setting an entire atmosphere at the house so it felt like a fantasy land of whatever theme they were having with the themed games and matching prizes and party bags and costumes even. I learned how to decorate novelty cakes like 3d sculptures and always made them one of those too. I usually had to stay up all night working on it before each party day and was wired on adrenaline from being excited for them that I would still make it through the big day and I am sooo glad I did that while they were growing up, I look forward to that with grandkids someday too.

skateboardingteen boybirthday sweetpea

WHEN they turn into a REAL teenager on 13 we have a big bash with extra extra friends to celebrate turning into a teen. One daughter we rented an indoor pool in the winter and had a luaia, another daughter had a glow in the dark slumber party and the other one also had a glow in the dark slumber party. When the boys turned 13 they had a huge tent in the back yard and campfire with all their friends over and the other one and before it got dark they went and played laser tag and went to gameworks arcade.

Then for their Sweet 16 they get to pick whatever they want to do to celebrate the day in a big way and if that is just with a date that is fine too. The last two sweet 16ers went to Cedar Point Amusement park for the day in OHio with their sweeties.

We do the same thing for 18. whatever they want within our budget.

ALL THE TEEN BIRTHDAYS in between like Elijah's 15th on Sunday... they pick out whatever they want for dinner, have friends over (which they are always over anyway on any given day LOL) and they pick whatever dessert they want, Elijah picked cheesecake with hot fudge sauce and milk chocolate chips on top and chocolate ice cream on the side. They pick whatever movie or game they want to rent or special activity at home or out they want to do. I get party plates etc  and he is having his friends over to bmx bike all day long like every other day bc that is what he wanted to do and then they are staying up all night to play extra video games we are renting him and he is renting movies too. I NEVER EVER buy my kids caffeinated pop unless they are a restaurant but him and his friends made this special request list of Blue Voltage Mt. Dew and Moon Mist Pops JUST for the party bc they plan to be up all night and then a long list of junk food for the whole night, chocolate chip cookies, oreos, red licorice, peach gummy rings, little debbie star cakes, orange slices candy and potato chips SO I GOT THEM ALL OF IT. hahahaha

Talk about SUGAR AND CAFFEINE HIGH

They are all excited. lol I dont mind breaking some of my own rules for their birthday parties.

neng999
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:53 PM

she doesnt like party anymore,giving her a book is the best for her,she loves to read...a lot...lol!!!!

nengyou rock

PepsiMom1224
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM

when my kids were younger, I always made their cakes.  Usually what they were into that year (made a hockey cake, blues clues cake, 1 year I make a cake using only Drakes Yankee Doodle cupcakes) Never had parties, just family came over.  We'd sing happy birthday, open what few gifts they got & ate cake.  We never had birthday parties (i.e. theme bday parties, bowling party, etc).  Now that my kids are older (21, 18, 15) I don't make cakes anymore, but we still have the family together to celebrate.  Afterwards, they go out with friends.  My daughter just turned 18 the other day & after a brief celebration w/ the family, she went to a Karoke bar with her friends.  It is bittersweet.  I miss those days, but I have always insisted, no matter what, we all have to be together for the birthday.

Wanda

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:36 AM

On her birthday, she picks where we go for dinner. If we have a party it is usually a small gathering with a few of her friends.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Elijah had one of his friends spend the night last night. There is usually at LEAST one of them over every night in the summer if not more and those two were up late and NOW they got up at 6am to go out and get started bmx biking and getting an extra early start on his birthday day. LOL

Elijah said he kind of wished he could sleep in longer bc he doesnt want to get tired on his birthday day or all during the night of his birthday either but he is excited so he cant sleep lol.

So he is already outside.

He had special requested certain cereals for breakfast this morning and for tomorrow morning so he got started with some of those. haha

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Mostly at home.  We only had parties for big birthdays, like 13, 16, 18 etc.  Otherwise we go out to dinner and they bring a friend. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)