Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So many grossly obese children

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM
  • 167 Replies

Took my twins to the community pool today..

Over half the kids there were obese with fat rolls on their bodies.  I dont understand how we can allow our 7.. 9.. year old children to become so overweight that they are twice as wide as other kids, that they have so many folds of skin. 

We CAN control what our kids eat. Execially at that age. We CAN provide them with good nutrition and control the amount they eat. We may not be able to force them to run on a tredmill for hours a day, or do 100 jumping jacks before school, but we can choose their diet.

It saddens me that parents allow this.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Much people are poor today and they are forced to eat, things like ramen noodles, things are not the same as it used to be and I have just got done with a health class. I never look at someones  weight, our children are a lot bigger then when I was younger, I just can't believe that remark that they have so many folds of skin, they are children and they will grow taller and slim down. I just look at it this way, hormones were being put in the milk, chicken all most everything we eat and then we ask why is our children so over weight.

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM
As nice as that sounds it's actually cheaper to cook foods from scratch. Also if most parents would serve portions the size of a large dinner plate and allow seconds the kids would not be this way. It's laziness, pure and simple.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

Much people are poor today and they are forced to eat, things like ramen noodles, things are not the same as it used to be and I have just got done with a health class. I never look at someones  weight, our children are a lot bigger then when I was younger, I just can't believe that remark that they have so many folds of skin, they are children and they will grow taller and slim down. I just look at it this way, hormones were being put in the milk, chicken all most everything we eat and then we ask why is our children so over weight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SNKMama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM

As the second poster said, There's healthy ways of living. Angel food ministries, or even growing a few of your own veggies at home.  Fresh celery sticks and carrots are dirt cheap.

I do NOT believe that kids who look like this are going to grow up to be normal, or grow slim just because they grow taller. The primary problem is diet and parents lacking the basic guidance of providing good nutrition to their kids.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

MrsBLB
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM

It's never too late to teach better eating habbits, and get children active.  The parents need to be educated in order for it to happen though. 

SNKMama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Consult a nutritionist. There's no need for any children to be that heavy. It's unsafe and unhealthy. There is very few actual medical reasons for uncontrolable obesity.

#1 thing.. no sweet drinks. Cut them out completely and drink water, coffee and teas.  Not only does this save a TON of money, but it also reduces the useless caloric intake by massive quantities

#2: you do not need to buy 95% ground beef to make healthy hamburgers. 70% can be almost as healthy if cooked apropriatly. Cut out the mayo, cut out the bacon. You can shop on a budget for hamburg and get it sometimes as low as 99c / lb...  You can make a healthy hamburger/ ground meat meal for 4 people for under $6.   $1.50 a person.

#3: Vitamin suppliments. If your on a budget and need to eat slim, these help a TON in keeping you healthy.  They ensure your filling your proper needs while your eating slim.

#4: Multi-use meals.  When I went to the market the last time I bought 1 whole large chicken. The chicken was $0.79/lb, and weighed 3lb, 3oz.($2.52),  a 3lb bag of potatoes for $0.99, a small box of egg noodles on sale for $0.89c. a bundle of fresh green onions for $0.99, celery for less than $1.00, frozen green peas for $1.00 and a head of lettuce for $0.79.

Total cost: UNDER $7.00

Out of that chicken, we had

1 a family meal of roast chicken and baked potatoe, and green peas

2 a family lunch the next day of chicken parts and lettuce

3 I made chicken noodle soup for dinner another night.

So, for under $7.00 I made 6 dinners and 3 lunches.  You cant begin to tell me that people cant afford that? Foodstamps pays for that much.

2009 I made $33,000.  I feed, clothe and care for 2 children.

They have High speed internet. They have their own computers.

They have cable TV with all of the channels. They have a Wii

We have a flat screen TV in each bedroom (2), and a 40" flat screen tv in the family room.

I OWN my home. (yes i have a mortgage on it)

I have a reliable modern vehicle.

I do not take public assistance or food stamps

Austin and Brianna have a joint college trust fund for college that has $17,871.32 in it.

Being poor does not mean you cant live healthy.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

Quoting Forget-me-not:

As nice as that sounds it's actually cheaper to cook foods from scratch. Also if most parents would serve portions the size of a large dinner plate and allow seconds the kids would not be this way. It's laziness, pure and simple.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

Nope I just studied this in my last class, and believe it or not I was a weight lifter, My health class I finished with a A it is what people eat, My kids are huge, 15 years old 190 lbs, yep thats right and there is nothing lazy about my children, and I cook from scratch, My kids are into all sports and Jog 1 mile everyday and yes they eat huge portions, they are active growing teens who have a mother who feeds them well balanced meals, and yes they were over weight when they were 9 ten years old.

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM
Thank you! We are quite poor less than 30k last year. I cut corners where I feel I can by cloth diapering, breastfeeing, making my own cleaners and washing powders, line drying and eating less but healthier meals. I second the chicken menu, j do this often. We also drink very, very little juice, 1qt of milk per week and no sodas.. Water is our friend. K also disagree with seconds and huge portions, I don't care eating that much is not healthy. Moderation is the key to being healthy.

Quoting SNKMama:

Consult a nutritionist. There's no need for any children to be that heavy. It's unsafe and unhealthy. There is very few actual medical reasons for uncontrolable obesity.

#1 thing.. no sweet drinks. Cut them out completely and drink water, coffee and teas.  Not only does this save a TON of money, but it also reduces the useless caloric intake by massive quantities

#2: you do not need to buy 95% ground beef to make healthy hamburgers. 70% can be almost as healthy if cooked apropriatly. Cut out the mayo, cut out the bacon. You can shop on a budget for hamburg and get it sometimes as low as 99c / lb...  You can make a healthy hamburger/ ground meat meal for 4 people for under $6.   $1.50 a person.

#3: Vitamin suppliments. If your on a budget and need to eat slim, these help a TON in keeping you healthy.  They ensure your filling your proper needs while your eating slim.

#4: Multi-use meals.  When I went to the market the last time I bought 1 whole large chicken. The chicken was $0.79/lb, and weighed 3lb, 3oz.($2.52),  a 3lb bag of potatoes for $0.99, a small box of egg noodles on sale for $0.89c. a bundle of fresh green onions for $0.99, celery for less than $1.00, frozen green peas for $1.00 and a head of lettuce for $0.79.

Total cost: UNDER $7.00

Out of that chicken, we had

1 a family meal of roast chicken and baked potatoe, and green peas

2 a family lunch the next day of chicken parts and lettuce

3 I made chicken noodle soup for dinner another night.

So, for under $7.00 I made 6 dinners and 3 lunches.  You cant begin to tell me that people cant afford that? Foodstamps pays for that much.

2009 I made $33,000.  I feed, clothe and care for 2 children.

They have High speed internet. They have their own computers.

They have cable TV with all of the channels. They have a Wii

We have a flat screen TV in each bedroom (2), and a 40" flat screen tv in the family room.

I OWN my home. (yes i have a mortgage on it)

I have a reliable modern vehicle.

I do not take public assistance or food stamps

Austin and Brianna have a joint college trust fund for college that has $17,871.32 in it.

Being poor does not mean you cant live healthy.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Quoting Angiebooboo:

Nope I just studied this in my last class, and believe it or not I was a weight lifter, My health class I finished with a A it is what people eat, My kids are huge, 15 years old 190 lbs, yep thats right and there is nothing lazy about my children, and I cook from scratch, My kids are into all sports and Jog 1 mile everyday and yes they eat huge portions, they are active growing teens who have a mother who feeds them well balanced meals, and yes they were over weight when they were 9 ten years old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I am now going though my material, and I found this and being over weight is not different then any other what some would call not the norm.

Social Bias against

the Overweight

Although much has been written about the potentially devastating

physical consequences of being overweight or obese,

an area that is often brushed under the table relates to the

social consequences of excess weight. Difficulty in finding a

job, workplace discrimination, and problems in just about

every avenue of one’s social life have been noted for people

who are obese.

Research increasingly points to a nation of weight

bias,

generally referring to negative attitudes that affect our interpersonal

interactions and activities in a detrimental way.

Stigma against heavy people may come in several forms,

including verbal types of bias (such as ridicule, teasing,

insults, stereotypes, derogatory names, or pejorative language),

physical stigma (such as touching, grabbing, or

other aggressive behaviors), or other barriers and obstacles

for obese people, such as seats in movie theaters, stadiums,

or airplanes that are too small for many overweight people.

In an extreme form, stigma can result in subtle and overt

forms of discrimination, such as denial of a promotion or

a raise.

Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

If you are sedentary, be aware that exercise can increase

appetite. If you are exercising or exercising to extremes,

moderate your activities.

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM
All this says is people treat overweight differently, we are talking about how overweight children and teens are more often than not caused by laziness and not by being poor.

Quoting Angiebooboo:

I am now going though my material, and I found this and being over weight is not different then any other what some would call not the norm.

Social Bias against

the Overweight

Although much has been written about the potentially devastating

physical consequences of being overweight or obese,

an area that is often brushed under the table relates to the

social consequences of excess weight. Difficulty in finding a

job, workplace discrimination, and problems in just about

every avenue of one’s social life have been noted for people

who are obese.

Research increasingly points to a nation of weight

bias,

generally referring to negative attitudes that affect our interpersonal

interactions and activities in a detrimental way.

Stigma against heavy people may come in several forms,

including verbal types of bias (such as ridicule, teasing,

insults, stereotypes, derogatory names, or pejorative language),

physical stigma (such as touching, grabbing, or

other aggressive behaviors), or other barriers and obstacles

for obese people, such as seats in movie theaters, stadiums,

or airplanes that are too small for many overweight people.

In an extreme form, stigma can result in subtle and overt

forms of discrimination, such as denial of a promotion or

a raise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM
I'm not going to quote anymore because we are taking up so much space.

I'm pretty sure there are studies that support this but it's possible to find studies that support anything these days. I for one don't buy it, I have lived on less than 20k a year I have also lived abroad and obesity does not follow poverty it follows ignorance and laziness. I've lived in a country where less than 50€ was a lot of grocery money and you see how people truly streach a dollar and still stay healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)