Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would You Let Your Teen UNDER 18 Get Married?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:54 AM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your teen UNDER the age of 18 get married for any reason?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

wedding  Would you let your teen (boy or girl) get married UNDER the age of 18 for any reason, for example a pregnancy or other reason? Why or why not?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GrammaBev
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I think it would depend alot on the relationship they had and their maturity level.  I'm not sure about all states but where I live you have to be 16 and have parents approval.  My grandmother got married at 16 and didn't have her first child until she was 20.    They have been happily married for 56 years now,  I think it depends on the individuals involved more than the ages.  I have alot of friend who got married in their 20's and 30's who are now divorced so I just think it depends on the individuals. 

billsfan1104
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM

hell no.  I was forced to be married by mt parents when I was knocked up at age 19.  We divorced two years later. 

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM

im sorryhugs OMGOSH that is just HORRIBLE... I think it is terribly wrong to FORCE ANYONE to get married for any reason at ANY age.  

Quoting billsfan1104:

hell no.  I was forced to be married by mt parents when I was knocked up at age 19.  We divorced two years later. 

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:23 AM

falling in lovein love

I have an 18 & 19 yr old very much in love here and they have been together a year and a half in a VERY admirably healthy beautiful relationship and we honestly believe they'll be together forever... that being said..

I think that we would NOT allow them to actually get married until they were at least 18. Even if they had gotten pregnant, I WOULD have let them live together HERE at my house so I could finish raising my daughter properly and I would let him live here with her but I still wouldn't let them get married until they were 18. IF they still wanted to get married after living together here and they were of age then they could and we would back them up 100%.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I would not allow my children to be married before they are 18, after that it's on them.  I was 16 and pregnant (they should make a show, LOL) and people kept asking me when my son's father and I were going to get married.  I always said, why would I make another bad judgement call.  I can't imagine what my life would have been like if he and I had gotten married.  He's a good guy, a good father, a good husband, but he wouldn't have been all that for me.  I don't think MOST teens are mature enough to make that kind of decision.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM

No, but they wouldn't want to.  We have encouraged them to wait till they are 25 at least.  I hope they do.  They are 19 and 25 now. 

momofne
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I think it would depend. I mean if they were pregnant and they had a good stable mature relationship then maybe. Other wise I can't see it happening. Maybe a few years down the road it would be a possibility.

momofne
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Actually I think this is a very good answer.

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

falling in lovein love

I have an 18 & 19 yr old very much in love here and they have been together a year and a half in a VERY admirably healthy beautiful relationship and we honestly believe they'll be together forever... that being said..

I think that we would NOT allow them to actually get married until they were at least 18. Even if they had gotten pregnant, I WOULD have let them live together HERE at my house so I could finish raising my daughter properly and I would let him live here with her but I still wouldn't let them get married until they were 18. IF they still wanted to get married after living together here and they were of age then they could and we would back them up 100%.

Angiebooboo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I am not sure, I would want them to wait until they were at least of age, I do not believe that love just happens, I believe it takes a long time for love to take place. I have been with my husband for 32 years and I feel that we have done somthing right to stay together that long. I know this sounds funny but he still give me the tingle if he has been gone, or plane walking into the room. he is the love of my life. We have been though a lot over the years, and yes we had to work out many many obstacles, and I am not so sure most people want to do that today and when you are young it is even harder.

babygirl66610
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM

That is an iffy question. I guess if it was pregnancy I would concider it but marrige is a rough thing to conquer just like parenthood. I would not let them give the child up or abort it but if they were really in love and she got pregnant and this is what they really wanted I would support her on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)