Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TWEENS or TEENS... Who's More Difficult?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: Who's more difficult to deal with, Tweens or Teens?

Options:

Tweens

Teens

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 26

View Results

teen boyteen girl

Outside of the fact, all kids are individuals.. so just in GENERAL... who do you think is harder to deal with, the kids as TWEENS or TEENS? Why?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:05 AM

For me it was more difficult with my dd when she was a tween. There was way more drama when she was in 6th and part of 7th grade than she has dealt with during any of the time she has been in highschool, she will be a junior this year.

My boys have a few years so I may change my answer when they get to that age.LOL

mama10johnsons
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I think that it is much more frustrating to be a tween. They don't want to be treated/act like little kids anymore but they aren't that independent yet. They are trying to find a balance and it's tough for a lot of kids. 

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM

shrugging frustratedbanging head into wall

With our 3 girls AND with our 2 boys, Todd and I agree 100% that it was WAYYYYYY more dramatic and stressful with each of them when they were TWEENS! They argued over the silliest most trivial things and they all had more drama with other kids at school at that age too. I don't think it helps when they are all starting to hormonally change due to puberty and they look like young teens but still act immature about some things like little kids. It seemed like there was always SOMETHING we had to deal with, with one or the other of them when they were TWEENS.

teen boygroup hugteen girl

NOW that they are all 15 and OLDER (sigh of relief lol) they are soooo easy and issues that come up are a rarity now instead of a regular occurrence like when they were younger. We are REALLY enjoying their ages now. This time was HARD EARNED though, I'll tell you LOL

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM

exactly right!

Quoting mama10johnsons:

I think that it is much more frustrating to be a tween. They don't want to be treated/act like little kids anymore but they aren't that independent yet. They are trying to find a balance and it's tough for a lot of kids. 

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Right now, I'd say the tween years.  My daughter's hormones are completely out of control, I can't handle it.  My only teen is a pretty good kid, but can have crazy attitude also.  The thing that worries me about the teen years is the independence they crave, expect and often get.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I know the independence thing can be scary amberdy, but this is how I look at it that helps us  A LOT with ours as teens and I hope maybe it will be at least a tiny bit helpful and comforting to you too?

Once they become actual TEENS I see them as ADULTS ON TRAINING WHEELS : )

I feel at that point it is best for my job to become more and more one of GUIDING them along and being a soft place for them to fall and to encourage them to get up and learn a lesson and try again to do better this next time. I feel it is more and more a time for me to encourage them to learn to make their OWN choices and to accept responsiblity for those choices good or bad and learning from natural consequences are some of the most impacting longer lasting life lessons it seems anyway.  Other wise we end up with young adult teens (the older ones college age) who finally get free from mom and dads FULL CONTROL and they dont know how to handle themselves and go crazy wild drunk on sudden freedom... the teens who have been practicing with more and more graduated fredoms and privleges along the way during their entire teen years already made some mistakes and learned some lessons and I feel handle it much better.

Just my humble opinion. I hope this makes independence thing feel less scary I know its hard. BIG HUGS

Quoting amberdy:

Right now, I'd say the tween years.  My daughter's hormones are completely out of control, I can't handle it.  My only teen is a pretty good kid, but can have crazy attitude also.  The thing that worries me about the teen years is the independence they crave, expect and often get.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I agree with you.  I think from the start we need to raise children to be men and women, not just to the next stage of life.

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

I know the independence thing can be scary amberdy, but this is how I look at it that helps us  A LOT with ours as teens and I hope maybe it will be at least a tiny bit helpful and comforting to you too?

I feel at that point it is best for my job to become more and more one of GUIDING them along and being a soft place for them to fall and to encourage them to get up and learn a lesson and try again to do better this next time. I feel it is more and more a time for me to encourage them to learn to make their OWN choices and to accept responsiblity for those choices good or bad and learning from natural consequences are some of the most impacting longer lasting life lessons it seems anyway.  Other wise we end up with young adult teens (the older ones college age) who finally get free from mom and dads FULL CONTROL and they dont know how to handle themselves and go crazy wild drunk on sudden freedom... the teens who have been practicing with more and more graduated fredoms and privleges along the way during their entire teen years already made some mistakes and learned some lessons and I feel handle it much better.

Just my humble opinion. I hope this makes independence thing feel less scary I know its hard. BIG HUGS

Quoting amberdy:

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:48 AM

goodhugs See? You guys will get through it fine, I believe in you. HUGS

Quoting amberdy:

I agree with you.  I think from the start we need to raise children to be men and women, not just to the next stage of life.

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

Quoting amberdy:

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM

laughinggroup hug 

FOR ALL THE MOMS WITH TWEENS...

I hope this topic thread feels like a big breath of relief for you and a shot of hope bc so far it is unanimous that tweens are harder and teens are easier so that is good news for you too bc you have light just around the corner. HANG IN THERE. BIG HUGS

SNKMama
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Tweens... They are wanting to be grown up and mature. Mostly they are starting to physically change. Some have even fully physically changed. Yet they are little kids in adults bodies.

The change from prepubescence to puberty is a HUGE deal and i certainly would not want to do it again.

I'm coming to understand -- slowly -- that later for puberty, is in the end -- a good thing. a 13yo, 14yo just starting puberty is much more able to deal with it than a10/11yo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)