• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YOUR Influence On Your Teens Future Career/LifePath?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you heavily influence Your Teens Choice of What they Want to Be When They Grow Up?

Options:

yes

no

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

bouncing mombriefcasedoctornursetypingteacher

How much if at all do you and your significant other try to influence what career/lifepath your kids lead in the future and how much do you leave up to their choice of what they want to be when they grow up for a job?

IF You influence them A LOT and have a strong preference, why do you and what are you encouraging them to be?

IF you don't influence them a lot, will you be proud and satisified no matter what they are or are not as a career/job/lifepath?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:12 AM

No we don't. We want her to do what she wants to do with her life if that means not going to college and working full time then that is fine with us. It's her path to choose and take since it is her life to live. I just want her to be healthy and happy.

It is hard sometimes because I work in a high school and many of my dd's friends and other students have an idea about what they plan to do and my dd does not. She has a few ideas in her mind like maybe photography, maybe psychology, maybe something else but nothing like I am going to apply here or there, she just kind of is like whatever. In all honesty though I was the same way when I was in high school. I have an associates but still don't know what I want to go back and get a bachelors in.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM

We have encouraged all of our kids since they were young to follow their hearts, their own inner inspirations, callings, passions bc we believe they were placed within them for a PURPOSE and it doesnt matter if it is what WE would have chosen for them or not.

We 100% support our kids if they quit school and choose to work a regular job forever of any kind or if they want to go to a trade school or college, we are just as proud of all of them. If they want to be a fulltime stay at home parent or whatever they feel called to be, we just want them to be healthy and happy.

The only influence we have at all is in encouraging and supporting them to follow their dreams and to take practical real steps to make whatever those are.. happen.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I really don't think so.  My son's father, his stepmom, my husband and myself try to guide him, but in the end I don't think it will matter much.  My son is almost 16 and has no idea what he wants to do.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Quoting amberdy:

I really don't think so.  My son's father, his stepmom, my husband and myself try to guide him, but in the end I don't think it will matter much.  My son is almost 16 and has no idea what he wants to do.

Maybe it's the age my dd is 16 too.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Somewhat with my youngest but it is her decision.  She has wanted to be a teacher and with teaching jobs not paying a lot, being scarce, and the crap teachers put up with parents today, we have steered her towards her first love, maybe being a chef.  We told her she should get a business degree and then maybe culinary school. 

19 year old knew from about age 12 she wanted to go to massage therapy school and that is what she is in now.  We knew that was good for her.  4 year college wasn't going to be something she would have done well at either. 

sheri305
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM

We have encouraged all of our kids since they were young to follow their hearts, their own inner inspirations, callings, passions bc we believe they were placed within them for a PURPOSE and it doesnt matter if it is what WE would have chosen for them or not

This

babygirl66610
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I have encouraged them to be whatever they want to be. I encouraged them to look into their hearts and let it lead the way. My oldest told me she wants to be a teacher in the 5th grade. She is now 18 and graduated Hi School this year. In another year she plans on going to college. My 17 year old also wants to be a teacher. I encourage them to follow their hearts to make a carreer choice and I didnt care if they went to college or not. They had to decide how they were to live the rest of their lives. I would support them in whatever they decide to do as long as it was legal. Now my 14 year old wants to be a teacher like her sisters and she wants to deal with students that are special needs. She has A D D  and she wants to give back what was given to her. I am very proud of all 3 of my girls.

trhender
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Nope, we don't care what they decide to do as a carrer.  Our only push is that they go to college.  What they do with that degree is up to them.  It has been proven that people with college degrees make more money, even if it is flipping burgers.  I honestly don't expect them to work forever in the field they get a degree in.  Lord knows I don't use my degree, but I make $5/hour more than my co-worker who doesn't have a degree....

So no on the carrer push, but yes on the degree.

partiesbytam
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM

No we don't influence the career or main life path for them  We do say they have to get good grades go to college and do something with their lives. We do what we can to help them that way but the choice as to what school or what they want to become is up to them.

softmelody
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I tried to begin early to encourage my kids' strengths... tried to encourage them to consider , realistically, what they want to do and how to go about getting into that field. So it's kind of a yes and no on the influence. Being special needs and being kids still there are things they forget to consider as to steps towards a career choice. That said... the choice is their own and I just want to do what I can to help them reach their goals. My daughter is going to college as a performance major playing the french horn (and very well I might add... as if I'm not biased or anything LOL).... My 17 year old I just need to keep as happy and healthy as I can and keep myself healthy so he can live at home for as long as I'm able to care for him. As for my youngest, right now he wants to be a marine biologist so I have to remind him that it involves math and science and more schooling.  He groans at that so who knows. I just think of it as my job to help him on his way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)