Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How "GREEN" Is Your Family?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: How "Green" Is Your Family?

Options:

not at all

a little bit

a moderate amount

VERY "Green"

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

turning into globerecycling sweetpeachanging light bulbhappy earthdayholding cloth bagplant a tree

How "green" is your family?

What kinds of "green" efforts do you make?

Are you satisfied with your efforts or do you feel you could do more?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM

How "green" is your family?I am the greenest member of my family. It has been a process but I am slowly bringing them to the green side.lol

What kinds of "green" efforts do you make? Turn off lights when you leave a room and other electric (radio, tv) when no one is using them.

Use cloth grocery bags, recycle as much as possible, wash laundry in cold water, line dry when possible, reuse buy clothes and other items from thrift stores and ebay,  use freecycle to get rid of stuff instead of throwing it in the trash. I try to do as many errands as possible in one trip to save gas. Use the library and swaptree for books, this is hard since I love to read and browse at the bookstore. Use a slow cooker as much as possible contrary to popular belief it uses far less energy being plugged in all day that heating the stove or oven for an hour. 

Are you satisfied with your efforts or do you feel you could do more? I am always looking for more ways to be green.

I honestly wish I could be greener with cleaners but I am very ocd and don't feel like my house is as clean when I use vinegar and baking soda. I need to find a good 7th generation or other "green" company cleanser that I like.  I am also bad because I use many paper towels and paper plates.

I would love to try to compost!

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM

How "green" is your family? I think we are pretty "green" although I hate that term.  I like to think of me being a good steward of what I'm given.

What kinds of "green" efforts do you make? We recycle everything we can.  We usually end up with one trash bag a week for a family of 4-6 depending.  We save energy as much as possible (electricity and water).  My friends are amazed at how low my energy bills are.  We drive my husband's car as much as possible.  It gets much better gas mileage than my big ole' pick up.  I try not to use many cleaning products.  I use a lot of baking soda and vinegar to clean.  I also use "gray" water to water plants.

Are you satisfied with your efforts or do you feel you could do more? I feel I could do more, but I'm not sure what short of selling everything and living like an Amish person, LOL.

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM
Bump, I'll come back and post
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3Junebabies
by Nina on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

we are a little green. we use cold water for laundry.  turn all lights and t.v.'s off when not in use.  recycle bottles, cans, other plastic containers.  we use green cleaning products.  we compost lawn clippings.  I feel like we could do more.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Oh and I forgot, my big thing is not using the plastic, disposable water bottles.  I think they are evil, seriously they are very bad for the environment. I also use re-usable shopping bags.  I use the energy saving light bulbs.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM

We recycle. 

I should use reusable bags but I also heard they are full of disease if you do not wash them a lot.  They tested random reusable bags used at the grocery and 80% had e coli and other things. Just a thought there. 

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I guess we are about moderately "green"?

We turn off lights and other things when not in use and unplug appliances in kitchen when not in use.

We use cold water in the laundry.

We use all environmentally friendly household cleaners and laundry detergergent.

We buy SOME organic fruits and veggies and foods (not all) and we buy SOME organic meats and dairy.

We use reusable cloth shopping bags.

We plan errands and trips around town in combination to cut down on driving and we don't drive any gas hog type of vehicle.  I don't drive at all personally.

We buy recycled paper products when they are available where we are shopping.

We take timed showers. 15 min. and two of the couples shower together which saves even more water.

We turn off water when brushing teeth until its time to rinse.

WE COULD ABSOLUTELY DO A LOT BETTER THOUGH..

I dont use the cfl lightbulbs I think they work crappy and I am afraid of the mercury if they break too. I hate those lightbulbs. But we dont have a lot of lights on even in the evening we watch tv in the dark for example.

We recycle some of our stuff some of the time but Its HARD for me bc I have an issue with anything that feels like clutter and its so hard to get a lot of the labels off and then store all the stuff for TWO WEEKS until the recycling truck comes UGH, I wish it was easier lol I feel guilty when I dont and it stresses me out when I do.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

We recycle. 

I should use reusable bags but I also heard they are full of disease if you do not wash them a lot.  They tested random reusable bags used at the grocery and 80% had e coli and other things. Just a thought there. 

Guess what Im throwing into the wash today.LOL.

I do have one that is a cold pack type of a bag that looks different from my others. I use that one for meats and always clean it very well after I unpack everything.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I use regular plastic bags for meat.  Meat grosses me out in general, so I don't let it touch anything else.  Ewww, meat.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting atlmom2:

We recycle. 

Guess what Im throwing into the wash today.LOL.

I do have one that is a cold pack type of a bag that looks different from my others. I use that one for meats and always clean it very well after I unpack everything.

rkoloms
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM

This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
¼ cup white vinegar
¾ cup warm tap water
1 tablespoon baking soda
10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice) 

We use paper towels and and napkins instead of cloth.

We don't eat meat; we consume very little dairy.

We walk and take public transit

We bring our own bags to stores

We recycle

We hang dry most of our laundry. 

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)