Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the most difficult thing you've been through

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM
  • 69 Replies

with your teen?

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:32 AM

The most difficult period for me was when I found out my dd was cutting herself.

I was stunned, we totally missed all the signs and it absolutely floored me. I was scared to death for her mostly and had never dealt with anything like that growing up b/c I didn't even know about cutters until I saw a 7th Heaven episode.

She doesn't cut anymore thankfully, but I know the threat of it is always there especially in stressful times but she has learned more appropriate ways to cope with issues.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM

The hardest thing I've gone through with my teen is his decision to move back to live with his father.  I was really sad, but I knew I couldn't force him to stay with me.  If this is all I have to go through with him, I'll be very happy.

amberdy
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I'm glad she has stopped.  Did she have to get professional help?  I know a lot of kids these days do it.  I don't remember anyone cutting when I was in school and I graduated in '95, so not that long ago.

Quoting mumsy2three:

The most difficult period for me was when I found out my dd was cutting herself.

I was stunned, we totally missed all the signs and it absolutely floored me. I was scared to death for her mostly and had never dealt with anything like that growing up b/c I didn't even know about cutters until I saw a 7th Heaven episode.

She doesn't cut anymore thankfully, but I know the threat of it is always there especially in stressful times but she has learned more appropriate ways to cope with issues.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:01 AM

im sorryhugs

Quoting momOfTeens040:

losing there aunt this past August...

she took her own life

she was the last of family connections on my side of the family...

she was 43...& had made attempts since she was 16...she leaves behind a son & husband

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM

screaminghugs

Yes I FEEL that pain too as you know we are going through that with our 16 1/2 yr old daughter Amanda right NOW and is sooo painful. I am grateful that she keeps in close contact with me regularily on her myspace but it still hurts every single day and keeps me up at night still and it's been a couple months.

Quoting amberdy:

The hardest thing I've gone through with my teen is his decision to move back to live with his father.  I was really sad, but I knew I couldn't force him to stay with me.  If this is all I have to go through with him, I'll be very happy.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM

hugs Omgosh THAT IS sooo scary and we went through a SHORT PERIOD ONLY thank GOD of our oldest daughter doing that when she was in high school and not only was it scary but it BROKE MY HEART that she was so sad inside that she would need/want to do that! I felt like a failure during that time. It's soooo hard to face when you do everything you know how to do to protect them and make them happy and sometimes it still isnt enough.

I am soooo glad and relieved YOUR daughter stopped too.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Momof5Teens67
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

THE HARDEST THING IN GENERAL WE HAVE GONE THROUGH WITH OUR TEENS OVERALL  ( we have 5 so I am going to generalize the majority of them)...

Is dealing with the fact that 3 of them are BiPolar and they ALL have either ADHD or ADD and One of them is also Paranoid Schizophrenic with hallucinations and even pyschotic episodes.

VERY scary and VERY heartbreakng and painful for the whole family!!!

It was a long frustrating road getting them properly diagnosed and then another long frustrating road trying to find the right meds in the right dosages and combinations for each individual kid that worked to BALANCE them out to their NORMAL Healthy TRUE self.

It affected their self esteem, their family life, their relationships, their school everything.

ALSO BI POLAR PEOPLE have the HIGHEST risk of suicide of ALL mental health disorders and we did have kids who felt suicidal when they were not balanced, JUST terrifying and devastating!

WORRYING endlessly and stressing constantly about HOW in the world I would get them balanced so they could have a REAL quality of a NORMAL life and BEFORE they got old enough to be on their own was torture.

I am Sooooo blessed to say that our kids ARE well balanced and under excellent care and living very very normal lives NOW overall WHEW

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Quoting amberdy:

hugsThat has to be hard! You and your son stay close though, right?

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Watching her deal with my father's dying. He is her soulmate so to speak and since she is homeschoolef she has pretty much taken over his care throughout the week. He is not in need of hospice yet and when he does she will come home but for the time being my sweet daughter is giving up a year of her life to take care of a dying man and I coudn't be prouder of her but omg it is so hard to watch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I think I freaked her out pretty bad when we discussed it. I was in tears and she doesn't see me cry like that very often. I was very honest with her and told her how much it scared me. I asked her what would happen if she cut too deep and we couldn't get her to the hospital in time and we lost her. I told her how terribly I would miss her and I would also be mad because I would miss seeing her do all the things I should get to see her do, like proms, graduations, weddings, children. After our talk she gave me all her cutting devices and swore she wouldn't do it again, I told her I reserve the right to do full body cutting checks if I felt like I had to, but she has stayed true to her word, It's been almost 3 years. I asked her if she wanted to go back to see her counsellor she told me not at that point but she would let me know if and when she needed to.

Quoting amberdy:

I'm glad she has stopped.  Did she have to get professional help?  I know a lot of kids these days do it.  I don't remember anyone cutting when I was in school and I graduated in '95, so not that long ago.

Quoting mumsy2three:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)