Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

If Your Teen Told You They Are BiSexual or Gay?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM
  • 161 Replies

holding balloons ( I know some of our moms HAVE had this experience and I hope they will share with us too. )

IF one of your teens came to you and told you that they are either bisexual or gay, how would you react?

Would you be upset or would you be supportive?

by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofne
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I think for any parent it would be upsetting because it would be a loss of a "dream" you've had for your child. But I would be totally ok with it.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM

giving heart I would for the most part not be upset, the ONLY thing that would upset me is that I know in this world, they would go through facing prejudice and hatred and injustice of civil rights. THAT part would upset me.

Other than that,  I would feel or think of them no differently than I would if they were straight.

Kathy-PSPR
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:51 PM

It would not upset us at all. We have always told our kids we don't care what sex, color, religion, or nationality someone is as long as they treat them well & they are happy.

Cara5
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this

My 14 year old is gay.  She told me one evening, tho id suspected for a while, we talked for a long time, she cried a little and fell asleep in my bed that night.  She woke up around 2 am and we sneaked out of the house and went to a 24 hour diner and stuffed our faces with pancakes and milkshakes and she talked for hours about everything that was going on in her life.  I thanked her for trusting me enough to talk to me about all of it and we continue to have a great relationship.  I wont say I was upset at all, worried maybe, that she will have a harder time, and a little guilty, but she is happy and healthy and thats all that matters to me. 

Angiebooboo
by on Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh boy, I am not sure what I would think! But I have to tell you I love my kids no matter what, I may blow at first and be very hurt. But lets face it I love my kids and I can not chose their way of living, I can only teach them right from wrong in earlier years after they become adults their life is up to them.

trhender
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 5:05 AM

I would be supportive.  There was a time when we thought that SS14 may have been wondering himself.  He would constantly question us about how we would feel if he had "friends" who were.  Or if we had friends who were.  I think he was trying to guage our reaction if we found out he was gay.  I still think he is trying to figure out who he is. We will always support him, no matter what his sexual orientation is.

We had a similar issue with SD16.  Her mom and Aunt will call us constantly with "concerns" that she is spending too much time with girls.  And that she tells girls that she loves them.  Her mom was brought up in a family where being gay is just not acceptable, and she would probably disown SD if she is gay.  We constantly assure SD that we will always love and support her no matter what choices she makes in her life. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 2, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I would love and support my kids no matter what.

mommas3cubs
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 7:20 AM

I would love my sons no matter what

llpalady
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 8:36 AM

my sons have not said they were gay.  but my oldest does alot for gay pride.  He participated in the day of silence.  he sat me and his dad down the day before and explained why he was doing it, and ended his speech with,  "and a bunch of hot girls are doing it."  ROTFLMAO!!  But ya, if any of my 5 kids said they were gay, it would not make any difference in my relationship with them.  I have friends that are gay and I see their struggles, so of course I wouldn't want that on my kids.  But i would love who ever they chose as their soul mate.

Monkejojo
by on Jul. 2, 2010 at 8:46 AM

MY daughter just told me she is bi. She is only 13 years old. My question to her is "how does she even know". I think this phase she is going through. Or I hope it it. Funny thing is, she talks about boys all the time. So I too am interested in what others have to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)