Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you guys find this as wrong as I do?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM
  • 55 Replies

My niece just turned 14 last month.  Recently on her FB page she is talking about this new boyfriend she has.  We have come to find out that the kid is 17 1/2, he lives several states away, and that my niece has never met him in person because they met on a website.  He is planning a trip up to see my niece and my sister approves of all of this.  My other sister and I are flabbergasted.  First of all, he's too old for my niece.  Secondly, how do they know he's who he says he is.  Thirdly, how can you approve of allowing a boy your daughter has been talking to for 2 weeks come and visit and stay at your house?.  I want to slap my sister silly for this.  She is more concerned with being my niece's friend than mother.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM

No way.  None of my girls had boyfriends at 14, let alone someone older and someone that they do not know.  Wouldn't happen in my house but my girls don't chat with strangers anyway. 

amberdy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I'm completely disgusted with the entire situation.  Even my 12 y/o dd and my other sister's almost 14 y/o dd can see how absurd the situation is, but my other sister doesn't seem to understand what a dangerous situation my niece is in.  Oh and the best part, she met him on a website called "GoneGothic" or something like that.  It's all so creepy.  I'm scared for my niece, but my sister is one of those people who knows everything, or so she thinks.

Quoting atlmom2:

No way.  None of my girls had boyfriends at 14, let alone someone older and someone that they do not know.  Wouldn't happen in my house but my girls don't chat with strangers anyway. 

-Jessica
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I would never allow that

taradawn24
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I would NEVER allow that. My youngest dd was with a 21 yr old for months before I found out, and I hit the roof about it! I'd completely lose it if it was that situation.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM

If I was her mom I would not pay for the boy to come visit us but if he wanted to pay for it, I would let him. I would want to see his ID at the airport to make sure he is not even older than he says or he could just get a plane ride right back home himself and wouldnt be coming to my house at all.

I would let him stay at my house to visit her WITH MY CLOSE supervision and he would be in a separate bedroom on a separate floor of the house. I would WANT to meet him and get to know him a bit if my daughter is so into him.

I would find GREAT comfort in that it is a long distance relationship bc even with a local relationship at THEIR ages they dont usually last too terribly long in many cases but for long distance it would most likely be even MORE short lived and I would warn my daughter to prepare herself JUST IN CASE.

I would also probably secretly hope she doesnt like him when she meets him in person as mean as that sounds just bc long distance relationships are so hard.

.Holly.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM

No way I would I allow that.  That's crazy. 2 WEEKS? Does your sister realize all the girls that get killed from meeting people they barely know from online.  That is a very scary situation!

Buggy979
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I would be speaking to his parents and if he is staying at your sisters house then she will have supervision... the age gap is really not an issue in my book. The only thing is that I see about some parents is that they are teens and we tend to freak with a 1-3 yr age difference... Do we do this when they meet someone later in life who is 3+yrs older. NO it's almost normal.. If the teens are responsible and respect themselves I see no harm in the age difference...

MrsTT
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM

WOW  i think your sister needs to read online the dangers of teens meeting ppl oline .. second I would get some info on the boy call his parents and see if this is something they know is going on !!! good luck

.Holly.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM

The age difference didn't even cross my mind. The only thing that did was that she met a stranger online and they have only known each other 2 weeks. You can't possibly know someone that well in 2 weeks. I think that is what needs to be looked at the most.  How well does she REALLY know this guy in 2 weeks.  I wouldn't allow it for that reason alone.

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Yes I would talk to his parents before I allowed  him to come too. Good point.

Quoting Buggy979:

I would be speaking to his parents and if he is staying at your sisters house then she will have supervision... the age gap is really not an issue in my book. The only thing is that I see about some parents is that they are teens and we tend to freak with a 1-3 yr age difference... Do we do this when they meet someone later in life who is 3+yrs older. NO it's almost normal.. If the teens are responsible and respect themselves I see no harm in the age difference...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)