Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

7/15/10 QOTD: What does your teen want to do after highschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or if they have already graduated what are they doing?

College, Military, Working?

by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM
Replies (31-35):
queenanne
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:13 AM

thank you so much for the feedback.  I will pass on what you said about the research career.

Being a lawyer is something she has always said 'NO WAY!' to.  She is not interested at all.  It has always been a family joke that she SHOULD be one, just because she won't take 'no' for an answer.....and like I said, she can talk herself into or out of anything.  She is very persuasive!!  (must be from being the baby in the family. lol)

Quoting annie2244:

Quoting queenanne:

My 17 year old will be a Senior.  She has thought about some kind of medical research career.  I think she would make an awesome lawyer.  She can talk herself into or out of anything!!!  lol

I'm hoping that she will do her first two years of general study here at our local Community College.  She's not sure.

I manage research studies. She should go for it. She'll need to get good enough grades in undergrad to get into grad school, and ideally crank straight through to finish up her PhD in her 20's. There's no need for her to have to pay much tuition for her masters and doctoral degrees, research assistant and teaching assistant gigs should be available that will take care of tuition. The life of a researcher is really quite good, flexible hours, interesting work, pretty well paid. If she wants to view the life, have her intern for a month part time in the summer at a local research center (call the local university or the VA hospital or a large HMO nearby - it's likely they will have or know a health care research foundation in the area.

Law school on the other hand is veryexpensive, and a job paying enough to pay off that debt is not assured. There's a lot of lawyers not practicing law, and others are spending 60 hours weeks in law sweat shops and rueing their career choice. Google about for a lot of tales of unhappy lawyers.  My 14 y/o is also currently thinking law school after undergrad. If she's still thinking this choice when she's 21, I'll encourage her to go into it with her eyes wide open about the pros and cons.

nyraerikson
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM

My twins work and make music and my 16 year old is going to The Art Institute of Chicago

allforedwards
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM
My oldest want s to go into computer probaly Vo-tect out at the college here. My middle daughter is going to college at the university of Kentucky at least that is what she wants to do right now. She wants to be a lawyer.
momof3angela
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Mine graduated this past May....she is doing 4  yrs college with ROTC and then joining the Army. 

moeself
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Well to be perfectly honest I wish I could paint my 17yr old as one that knows what she wants (she will be a senior this year), but I can't.  Her main goal is to get married , become a vet tech, Dance instructer or something in graphics.

My 14yr old wants to be a social worker/ go into the navy

My 12yr old well she doesn't know yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN