Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

7/16/10 QOTD: Who's teaching your teen(s) to drive?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM
  • 52 Replies

Or if they already drive, who taught them? You, Hubby/SO, they learned in school, other?

by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RTolen
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM

My son has been able to drive a car and a boat since he was 11.  His Dad taught him.  We live in a small rural community.  He goes hunting and fishing  a lot with just his Dad and we felt that if anything ever happened he needed to be able to get himself out of the bush or off the lake.  There is no cell service where they hunt and fish.  He's not allowed to drive around town or anything just back on bush roads where there is no traffic.  When he gets his permit he will drive around town with us.  I have complete confidence in his skills already though.  He knows how to deal with skidding, mud, and ice already.

NearSeattleMom
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Mine are going to learn from a driving school, I guess.  We're putting it off as long as possible!

momofne
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 3:45 AM

They both took drivers ed. (was at school but we had to pay for it) and when it came to the practice driving my ex did most of it. I guess it bothered them when I was in the car (bothered me too LOL).

connietrrll
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 3:49 AM

My daughter wants to learn. Any volunteers? lol I cannot teach her as much as I should. I have arthritis. To much tapping of the breaks hurts, and can seriously injure me. So my husband tried. Somehow my little Cavalier ended up 100 feet from the road, in a field. She has said she never wants him to teach her again. So that leaves any willing participants available.

She did not qualify for drivers ed, because she was only 17 and they did it according to age first. There was no room for her. I guess. Funny thing is they had sophmores in there. She was a senior.

MichelleMc
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM

My husband will. He has such great patience when it comes to teaching like that. He taught me how to drive a stick when we were married & our first car was a stick. I will too but I know it will be better in the beginning to have hubby teach him. LOL

Michelle Proud Mom of an Only Child By Choice Jonathan

Proud Teenager, Eagle Ranked Boy Scout, Venture Scout, USPSA Shooting & Scottish Drummer Parent!     Proud Navy Submarine Vets Wife! 

smidget28
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Me and a driving school

3boyz1princess
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM

He took drivers Ed but my hubby,my ex hubby and my mom have all taken him out driving..I would love to but it scares the shit out of me.. and only 12 days till he turns 16 yr old

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

15YR             13YR            5YR             4YR

cclpmom
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:00 AM

This may seem odd..but neither of mine want to drive and they are 20 and 16... they happily use public transit.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:05 AM

My dd has taken in class drivers ed but our district cut the in car driving due to budget issues, so it is up to me and hubby.

My husband takes her out driving more than I do though.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Quoting cclpmom:

This may seem odd..but neither of mine want to drive and they are 20 and 16... they happily use public transit.

I wish public transit was an option, then I wouldn't have to drive.

I was not a teen that couldn't wait to drive. I didn't get my license until I was almost 19 and I really only got it because I was moving out of town to a very rural area and I wasn't able to walk everywhere like I did when living in town.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)