Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Poor Daughter's In Her Own Psychiatric EXPERIMENT

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM
  • 30 Replies

Any of you who pray, PLEASE pray for our 18 yr old daughter Michae'la and any of you who don't please cross your fingers for her, or send her good energy and light, anything, whatever, PLEASE and thank you!

She is ONE of our kids who suffers from Bi Polar disorder, anxiety disorder, MILD OCD and ADHD.  She was diagnosed at 12 and has been on VERY helpful and effective adhd med, mood stabilizer and anti psychotic meds that gave her back her self control and quality of life.

1. When she became sexually active we talked to her psychiatrist about what will happen WHEN she chooses to become pregnant someday bc she does want to be a mom eventually and I KNOW she will be an exceptional one. HE really scared and saddened us when he explained she would have to STOP ALL HER psychiatric medication during her entire pregnancy if at all possible but for SURE for the first three months.

2. We are VERY grateful Michae'la had medicaid to cover her treatments and very expensive meds up until now but when she turned 18 they take the medicaid away and so that's what they did. She works fulltime but only at Dunkin Donuts and her medications for GENERICS and WITH a pharmacy assistance discount her meds are STILL over $600 a MONTH. She is trying to be accepted by the actual pharmaceutical companies charity programs where they donate the meds for little or nothing but we dont know if they will take her and that will take time.

3. SO NOW as of today she is out of meds and went through her first 24 hrs with NO Meds. She is going thru withdrawals, her face feels tingly and numb (this part will ear off) and she is very hyper and talking super fast but thankfully she is in a very good mood  but will snap if you irritate her in a snappy voice but then she corrects herself. (she is manic in other words)Michae'la's mania doesnt reach dangerous levels or at least it hasnt in the past what I am worried about is when she crashes or if she gets depressed. Bi polar people have THE highest rate of suicide among ALL mental health disoders.

She is trying very hard to focus and use mental exercises I taught her to help herself and she said it is a type of experiment (she is trying to think of this situation in a positive way or as a blessing in disguise bc at first she was terrified and crying thinking of losing her meds) so now she is thinking "I can see HOW I would do when it Sam and I decide to have a baby in the future. "

PLEASE keep her in your thoughts. Thanks

I am a worried mommy and I spent these kids ENTIRE LIVES going through llving hell to get them properly tested and diagnosed and treated and balanced so they could have a good quality life and as normal of a life as possible and thanks to the health care and insurance situation in our country that just gets YANKED away bc she turned 18 like at 18 your kids magically dont matter anymore. : (

by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofne
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:32 PM

OMG thats terrible. Is there any support groups for bi polar that could help? Withdraw can be really a b*itch from some of those meds.

I know this  might not be possible but what if she goes back to school? Could she? I believe if you go for a certain amount of time each week the insurance will be paid till she's 20. Not sure I may be wrong about this. Something you might want to check out and I don't know about medicaid.

Sending prayers, good vibes and oping for all the best for you guys {{{HUGS}}

Becky_71
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Definately sending prayers!

I know how scarey this must be, I think about this all the time with my daughter who is on 3 different meds for depression, anxiety and adhd. I too have bipolar, and my son has bipolar and adhd. I know the fight to get our kids to a place where they are stable, functioning and happy. My kids too are on Medicaid, and I know as soon as they turn 18 it will be gone.  It sounds like you have taught your daughter well, which is a GREAT thing, and she sounds like she has a good attitude about it all!

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM

No on the support groups, they could probably offer compassion but its not enough at this point.

That is a good idea about the college, if she isnt prevented from doing so from episodes that throw her too off balance she is registering for college this fall, although she can only go part time and I HOPE that is enough to get medicaid back even if temporarily.

In the meantime I Feel Sooo badly for her and am acting VERY positive and encouraging and upbeat for her but inside I am soooo worried and sad and scared.

Quoting momofne:

OMG thats terrible. Is there any support groups for bi polar that could help? Withdraw can be really a b*itch from some of those meds.

I know this  might not be possible but what if she goes back to school? Could she? I believe if you go for a certain amount of time each week the insurance will be paid till she's 20. Not sure I may be wrong about this. Something you might want to check out and I don't know about medicaid.

Sending prayers, good vibes and oping for all the best for you guys {{{HUGS}}

jabs54
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Oh, that's horrible, just horrible!   I will definitely pray that something happens and she can get her meds!   (((hugs)))

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Thank you HUGSSS hopefully our insurance and health system will get fixed before all our kids are over 18. Sigh.

Today already, she had a mini crisis where the engine on the convertible overheated and she got stranded on the side of the road and she HANDLED it AND her and her boyfriend VOLUNTEERED to start buying all their own groceries we are so proud of them and impressed. Her boyfriend sam who always helps her remember to take her meds on time is now being her personal cheerleader I am so proud of him and her.

Quoting Becky_71:

I know how scarey this must be, I think about this all the time with my daughter who is on 3 different meds for depression, anxiety and adhd. I too have bipolar, and my son has bipolar and adhd. I know the fight to get our kids to a place where they are stable, functioning and happy. My kids too are on Medicaid, and I know as soon as they turn 18 it will be gone.  It sounds like you have taught your daughter well, which is a GREAT thing, and she sounds like she has a good attitude about it all!

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Thank you soooo much, I believe in prayer and I believe in outright miracles too. We have been blessed with miracles before so there is always hope even when it FEELS hopeless and helpless.

Quoting jabs54:

Oh, that's horrible, just horrible!   I will definitely pray that something happens and she can get her meds!   (((hugs)))

Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM

BECKY I forgot to say earlier to you, THANK YOU For sharing your personal story with me about you and your kids too.  I am also bipolar but very blessed that we have insurance thru my husbands work but sadly only for me and him (he is bipolar too) and he and I are very well balanced on our medication and that is all I hoped for for our kids. 

Quoting Becky_71:

queenanne
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I will keep your daughter and whole family in my thoughts. 

Have you considered filing for SSI benefits for her?  With those benefits, medicaid is often part of the package. 

Filing for Social Security disability can be a long and arduous road, but totally worth it in the end.

MrsBLB
by Missi on Jul. 17, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Sending up prayers Yvonne.  Have you looked into Walmarts 4 dollar presriptions?  Maybe some of hers are on the list. ♥ 

taradawn24
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 4:11 AM
Definately sending your family prayers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)