Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Poor Daughter's In Her Own Psychiatric EXPERIMENT

Posted by   + Show Post

Any of you who pray, PLEASE pray for our 18 yr old daughter Michae'la and any of you who don't please cross your fingers for her, or send her good energy and light, anything, whatever, PLEASE and thank you!

She is ONE of our kids who suffers from Bi Polar disorder, anxiety disorder, MILD OCD and ADHD.  She was diagnosed at 12 and has been on VERY helpful and effective adhd med, mood stabilizer and anti psychotic meds that gave her back her self control and quality of life.

1. When she became sexually active we talked to her psychiatrist about what will happen WHEN she chooses to become pregnant someday bc she does want to be a mom eventually and I KNOW she will be an exceptional one. HE really scared and saddened us when he explained she would have to STOP ALL HER psychiatric medication during her entire pregnancy if at all possible but for SURE for the first three months.

2. We are VERY grateful Michae'la had medicaid to cover her treatments and very expensive meds up until now but when she turned 18 they take the medicaid away and so that's what they did. She works fulltime but only at Dunkin Donuts and her medications for GENERICS and WITH a pharmacy assistance discount her meds are STILL over $600 a MONTH. She is trying to be accepted by the actual pharmaceutical companies charity programs where they donate the meds for little or nothing but we dont know if they will take her and that will take time.

3. SO NOW as of today she is out of meds and went through her first 24 hrs with NO Meds. She is going thru withdrawals, her face feels tingly and numb (this part will ear off) and she is very hyper and talking super fast but thankfully she is in a very good mood  but will snap if you irritate her in a snappy voice but then she corrects herself. (she is manic in other words)Michae'la's mania doesnt reach dangerous levels or at least it hasnt in the past what I am worried about is when she crashes or if she gets depressed. Bi polar people have THE highest rate of suicide among ALL mental health disoders.

She is trying very hard to focus and use mental exercises I taught her to help herself and she said it is a type of experiment (she is trying to think of this situation in a positive way or as a blessing in disguise bc at first she was terrified and crying thinking of losing her meds) so now she is thinking "I can see HOW I would do when it Sam and I decide to have a baby in the future. "

PLEASE keep her in your thoughts. Thanks

I am a worried mommy and I spent these kids ENTIRE LIVES going through llving hell to get them properly tested and diagnosed and treated and balanced so they could have a good quality life and as normal of a life as possible and thanks to the health care and insurance situation in our country that just gets YANKED away bc she turned 18 like at 18 your kids magically dont matter anymore. : (

by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
Momof5Teens67
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Last night she felt very paranoid and fearful for no other reason than that it was cuased by her being "high" on her own chemistry so her brain was making her that way, her boyfriend talked her through it (I told her in the future it IS MORE THAN OK TO WAKE ME UP TOO ) and with his guidance she was able to self calm and even get to sleep while in paranoia that was quite an accomplishment. I am so proud of both of them but it breaks my heart she has to go through this.  Soooo unfair.

Angiebooboo
by on Jul. 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

Last night she felt very paranoid and fearful for no other reason than that it was cuased by her being "high" on her own chemistry so her brain was making her that way, her boyfriend talked her through it (I told her in the future it IS MORE THAN OK TO WAKE ME UP TOO ) and with his guidance she was able to self calm and even get to sleep while in paranoia that was quite an accomplishment. I am so proud of both of them but it breaks my heart she has to go through this.  Soooo unfair.

Yvonne, Please be careful, It is very bad when someone just stops taking their meds,, to ween yourself from meds, it takes 6 weeks and you should be under Dr. care while doing it. Just promise me that you are watching your daughter very closely.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Quoting Momof5Teens67:

It is too unfair.

Does her doctor know the situation? Do they have any suggestions on what to do or where to go for help they should have some resources for those without insurance.

jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Isn't there a law now that our kids can be on our health ins (if u have it) until they are 26? Which I think is a good thing for this very reason [sigh] Hope she gets her meds back but until then praying.
billsfan1104
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 9:27 AM
I will keep her in my prayers. I know the feelings or beeing BI-Polar and depressed. So she is not alone
girlintheflock
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM
**HUGS*** sending you light and love and lots of prayers. xoxo
momofne
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM

It hasn't passed/gone into effect yet. Anyone know more about it??

Quoting jinxmom:

Isn't there a law now that our kids can be on our health ins (if u have it) until they are 26? Which I think is a good thing for this very reason [sigh] Hope she gets her meds back but until then praying.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jul. 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I think it was one of those things that was supposed to be in effect once the bill was signed but I think it is for coverage under insurance companies like blue cross/ blue shield not medical assistance.

Does Michigan have a Blue chip program? PA has blue chip through Blue Cross, where children and now adults can qualify for low or no cost insurance coverage.

Yvonne~ You and Michae'la have been in my thoughts since you posted this, I really hope she can find some assistance.

Quoting momofne:

It hasn't passed/gone into effect yet. Anyone know more about it??

Quoting jinxmom:

MrsTT
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM

wow I am sorry this is happing right now, I will keep your daughter in my prayers and please let know how things are going ..

kdterry524
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Do a web search for NAMI(National Association of Mental Illness) in your area and see if they can offer any assistance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)